Problem with reef tank, exhaust and lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikel181

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my aquarium was built into the wall and since the canopy gets super hot and is enclosed, we installed an exhaust like you would find in a bathroom to keep it from molding on top. Do you think this is bad for the fish and corals, we put it in yesterday... while doing this 2 of the 4 blue lights accidentally broke and today the corals aren't opening. Do you think this is due to the 2 of the lights breaking (there are still 2 others working) or the exhaust we installed, I really wouldn't think the exhaust could harm the tank, let me know what you think?

I wouldnt see how the exhaust fan is hurting anything. wat are your temps reading now? Water parameters? Wat type of corals and wat type of lights and how many bulbs? Wat size tank? How old is the tank? I would replace the lights as soon as possible.

I can't imagine why the exhaust fan would cause a problem, but corals need light and if you take away half of their "food" source, well... that's not going to make them too happy!

When the lights broke, none of the broken pieces (glass, phosphors inside the tube, etc) got into the tank, did they?

I know I'd be unhappy if you took away half of my food source! Seriously though what kind of lights are they and what kind of corals are they? If the corals are ones that require more intense lighting then you should run to the LFS now an get some new tubes.

I agree with the others. Replace the two lights and things will go back to normal. What kind of lighting are we talking about? VHO or T5HO? BTW welcome to AA

The exhaust won't cause any problems. I have multiple fans along the rim of my tank to cool it down and know problems caused by the fans.

Back
Top Bottom