Problem with suspended particles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! I have thought for a while that I had a serious micro bubble problem. So today I took some time and shut down my sump to watch the tank circulate w/o anything that could contribute to microbubbles. Well what I have found is that its not bubbles, its suspended particles, and quite a bit of them. Particles are sugar sized or smaller and abundant in the tank. Could it be dust? The tank is in my basement which doesn't have the greatest air circulation. I was considering getting myself a canister filter with a micron insert and running it until the mess clears up, afterwards I could use it for pumping carbon or something. Any suggestions about this? Thanks.

I use my Magnum 350 with a micron filter once in awhile to remove the small particals it seems to work good. Give that a try. I also installed a fine micro pad before my Mag 12 return pump in sump. This helped alot .I take it out once a week and rinse it.

Good luck Dewey

I wanted to bring this post back to life as I have more info and would like some more help. Last night I was using a flashlight to look in the tank, and when I put it up to the glass I could see the entire light beam through the length of the tank (48"). The density of particles in my water is insane. I would just like to know if this is a normal occurance. My water does look clear. Today I stuck a custom cut piece of marineland, "rite-size" bonded filter bad into one of my bubble trap baffles in hopes that these super fine particles will be captured. I just want to get assured that its necessary to capture them. Thanks for the help!

how is your water flow? usually increasing your water flow, better skimming and adding some carbon will clear things up. water flow is usually the most overlooked aspect in marine aquaria, but you never know what could be causing it.

I had this same problem for a while, maybe not to the same extent...but still was a problem. Mine was a result of the orange spot goby that I had in the tank. Do you have any sand sifters? If so, they are notorious for stirring up continuous dust storms. I pulled him out, ran carbon and a poly filter for about a week and havent had a problem since.

Squishy

diamond goby

I have a diamond sleeper goby too! my water is FILLED with particles. we named him F _ _ k e r because he was spitting sand into the water. i dont think that i'll be able to catch him however. is there another trick i can use?

Back
Top Bottom