Problems with 120 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LUVMYTANK3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have setup 120 gallon saltwater tank about 8 days ago we can't seem to get it clear. Does anyone know what might be wrong with it. Local pet store tells me water levels are great.

We have setup 120 gallon saltwater tank about 8 days ago we can't seem to get it clear. Does anyone know what might be wrong with it. Local pet store tells me water levels are great.

We need to know a little more information about the system .
RO/DI water ?
How much live rock , sand, filtration , lights , ect

Define "set up". Was that adding water and starting the cycle with an ammonia source?

What exactly are your water levels? If your tank is not cycling (usually takes weeks), then they may be testing pure water, which would not have much in the way of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. That is great down the road, but bad in the beginning.

More details will help narrow things down.

How do I post video? Bought a 3 year old established tank with rock coral and livestock.

It did have sand but we chose not to use right now we have no sand in it.

Newly setup tanks go into a process of cycling and diatom is normal. If you leave them alone they usually clear in 3 days or so. The right way to do it is to put the sand after you have the rocks. Otherwise you are just delaying the process. You do not need the skimmer while cycling.

After reading on here I think I'm dealing with brown algae bloom tank gets clear then after lights are on for a while it starts looking brown. How do I stop this process?

It will resolve itself after a little while. Just do a few partial water changes to reduce the nutrients in the water. Stirring everything up caused a diatom bloom. Nothing avoidable in a situation like this.

This is day 9 how long does it take to correct this? And should I leave lights off? Sometimes you can't even see from one side of tank to other then sometimes it looks like its clearing up. We are very new to this.

If you are doing water changes to remove excess nutrients, then it will take less time. Do you know how to do a water change correctly? Mix your water in a separate container over night with a power head and heater, then use.
Do you have photosynthetic creatures in this tank? If so, they rely on light, and will need it daily.
can you post a picture of this tank?

Here is picture but now looks worse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 66
This is day 9 how long does it take to correct this? And should I leave lights off? Sometimes you can't even see from one side of tank to other then sometimes it looks like its clearing up. We are very new to this.

If it's a new set up it will take time .
It's only time till the silicates are consumed by the diatom algae .
The diatoms will dis off after they don't have and silicates to eat .

Back
Top Bottom