producing mandarin food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makana

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have one mandarin fish (Synchiropus splendidus) in my 29g miniature reef and it seems to be flourishing. i have a 10g refugium with chaeto and a cpr aquafuge with chaeto that supply many pods to the display for the mandarin. she seems plump enough but im always nervous about her. not so much recently because she is so round and plump and she has been eating he heart's content. on what in such a small system you may ask...
i find the hermaphroditic Lysmata amboiensis cleaner shrimps to be more than useful in my reef. they clean the fish, clean the tank, and generally keep to them sleves (no aggression or coral-tasting habits). the mandarin seems to be using the Lysmata babies as a staple in its diet. my pair of cleaners started breeding within a couple weeks of being introduced to the tank. they do it every 6-8 weeks.
anyway, right now there are tons of Lysmata offspring floating around in the reef so i dont need to feed this week at all and the goby is having a hell of a fun time trying to eat it all, as are the coral :)

Back
Top Bottom