Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Prop/Grow out Tank

Bought a 20G today. Ordered the 24" Aqualight pro http://www.hellolights.com/24aqpr1x15hq.html Was looking and found at Petco a Marineland H.O.T filter and Marineland skimmer. Was considering a skilter or similar device, but I don't want to get into something so non standard I can't get parts or media for it in 6 months. Anyway, ne1 have suggestions on filtration, skimming and water flow? Also, would like to drop a shrimp (cleaner) in and maybe a clown or something that will help keep the algea down..blenny maybe? Im going to use 20 lbs of live sand and drop in a couple chunks of base rock. Once cycled Im going to frag off some of my show tank lps and see what grows..

Thanks
-PC

Old 12-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard that SeaClone skimmers are very fussy. You'd probably be better served by a Remora (only $60ish more than the SeaClone). But then again, you don't have a large bio-load in a growout tank.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Honestly, in a tank that size, I shouldn't produce much skimmat at all. Shrimp a crab and maybe a snail plus a fish. Just doesn't seem feeding the shrimp and fish will cause a lot of pollution, thats why I was looking for a cheap solution. The only thing Im not real on par with is water flow. Doubt I should drop in a couple 700gph power heads..Suppose it will depend on the frags, etc.

Thanks
-PC
Old 12-12-2004, 03:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you going to do a shelf system as I've seen with other coral growout tanks? Or a more natural setting. Interested in seeing what it looks like!

And yes, a tank with corals only isn't being fed much (or at all), and as such you won't be seeing much skimmate

Old 12-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You're not going to see much skimate with a Seaclone on any tank, but I will concede that it's better than nothing. My guess is that you won't really need skimmer on this tank as long as you do regular water changes.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya, prolly 5G changes every other week depending on inhabitants and tests. As for the 'shelf' tank, I am assuming your referring to the use of pvc pipes and plastic 'shelves'. I had considered it but since it will be so close to my computer asthetics would be a plus, so I think Im going to use 'bout 20lbs of live sand and 10 - 15 lbs of lr with a lot of rubble for glueing/attaching, etc. I'll have about 14w/g of lighting so Im considering a small clam to help filter, a cleaner shrimp, a small crab, a snail or 2 and maybe an algea eating blenny. All that to help keep a natural high level of water quality if only to augment my water changes, etc. Hellolights called to say they were out of the XM mh bulb, so they are shipping a coralife at no extra charge. Im not all that familiar with mh, so I guess its a good thing since they are normally 30 bucks more. I'll post pix when I get her up and of course as it progresses.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dug up this comparison of MH bulbs awhile back

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Old 12-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, I've seen a few of those types of comparisons online. They all seem to boil down to personal pref. Ex, my 'kit' comes with a 150 HQI 10k. I'd just as soon use a 12 or 14k. a little blue for some, but I kind of like the shallow blue look. As for output, its a 20g with 280w of light over it, I don't suspect I'll see too many dark areas. In fact, I was thinking tonite about how best to arrange it for some 'shade' for those corals who don't care for the bright lights of the big city..
Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PC, I have a seaclone, and I hate it. Im going to get a aquac remora pro. As for the lighting, I think you are not getting as much light as you are paying for ok? I reccomend getting like a 400watt MH, you never know when you are going into sps like me
This is the best price I can find for ya! This will save you alot, and when you decide to get into the sps then your all ready! I calculated the watts you get with the aqualight pro, and you get 280watts and it costs you $368.95 and the 400watt MH from sharkys reef is $220. If you have a hood already, you can just mount it into there, screw in the bulb, plug in ballast and your ready to go! You save $148.95 and you get more watts which=happy light lovers, and your (Hopefully soon to be) sps corals will love it too! You can take that $148.95 and save it towards your new skimmer, and you win! Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.sharkysreef.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=236
Hey, you could put the 400 MH into your main system and get a cheap pc lighting system for your 20g if you feel that the MH is too much for it!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

400 watt MH on a 20 gal might have heat issues. That would be intense.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com