Propagating Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if anyone knows a site besides garf that shows how to propagate corals. Id like to know about star polyps and favites/candy cane coral and toadstool.

With my star polyps I just cut them apart. They are so strong that not much will kill them. htey stay inside for awhile but start to come out again after a few days. I cut my big piece of brown star polyps into 3 different peices and they are coming back already poking there polyps out. HTH

Josh

as for the toadstool just cut the top off and cut it up like a pizza and use netting to hold it down to a rock.. Some just place in sand bed to let them heal..

hth,
James

Star polyps are really hardy. Once they have the right conditions (clean water and iodine) they should survive any cutting. The big thing in all of this is to keep the flow good so no rot can set in.

As for favites (aka close brain or moon coral) I'm sure you can propagate it, but knowing that even touching that coral can kill it, I wouldn't try. It's a stony coral and most stony corals do not tollerate much touching let alone any cutting. If you are serious about it, there's a great book out there called "Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1: Reef Gardening for Aquarists" by Anthony Rosario Calfo. You can get it from amazon. I read through it almost every night at the LFS I work at... It's a long book with a LOT of good information on all corals and propagation techniques, very few pictures.

I'm not sure about the Toadstool... again, I'd refer to that book on it. You may be able to do a latteral line cut like with a mushroom on it... but I'd be sure long before I went at it with a razor.

Hope that helps!

actually the toadstool lookslike its gona split and make a new colony. Does it usually just split off and grow where it lands?

yes. my dad had a large one that died off but left little guys all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom