Propagating Ricordias and shrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it OK to propagate ricordias and shrooms in your main display tank or should this be done in a separate tank? Are there any toxins released by these that could harm other tank inhabitants?

Is it OK to propagate ricordias and shrooms in your main display tank or should this be done in a separate tank?
From my understanding It is just fine to propagate in your main tank.. What i would do is remove a bowl of water from the tank and propagate outside in a bowl and place the cuttings in a small container inside the tank with some rubble LR.. That way they can attach by themselves.. I would also run some carbon during the healing process just to make 100% sure..

HTH,
James

FWIW, There is a local guy who propagates then slowly in main tank for his use by using a razor blade to slice the shroom from the oral cavity outward on one side. The shroom or ricordia then splits the rest of the way on it's own in the matter of a couple of weeks. I have never done it, but seen it and it seems to work wonderfully.

R-

I have done it that way as well. If I'm going to cut them in two, I usually do the cutting in a bowl outside the tank. These corals will propagate easily using either method. You can cut the shrooms up like a pie and each piece will make a new shroom.

I have plenty of mushrooms to try both ways. If I do the pie method, more bang for the buck, do I give a piece the mouth or cut around it. All of the reading I've done so far never mentions who gets the mouth. Or does it even matter?

Really anxious to try this with my orange ricordias, any thing other than the clippings need more light than the shrooms. Just nervous to cut up something so cool looking. I think I will try it on the green ricordias first.

Is the reason for cutting in a bowl just easier or is there a release of toxins? I know some of my mushrooms sometims will sting the zoos and some polyps if they're too close.

from what i understand, each little piece should have a piece of the mouth. as far as toxins, ive never heard of them releasing any. they will slime quite a bit tho. using a bowl just makes it easier to work with. after cutting them, put them into a little container containg some rubble, then rubberband some wedding veil over it so they cant float away.

When propagating shrooms and ricordias, is it imperative to give each piece (frag) a section of the oral cavity? Of does this just speed up the recovery process?

I have a question..I have seen several different methods on how to cut them up and hold them down. Is it possible to just cut them in half and let their own foot hold them down provided you dont actually remove them from the rock in the first place?

Squishy

I have read if you cut from the oral cavity to one edge and leave it, it will finish splitting by itself in about two or three weeks.

That is true...it works...they will split on their own if cut this way. The electric blender is about the only method of propagation that won't work for shrooms. Once conditions are to their liking, they will multiply like mosquitos in a swamp.

Back
Top Bottom