Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

propagation plugs & Epoxy

I recently picked up some frags but they came with attached plugs. Does anybody have any advice in terms of removing the plugs. Also what do you all use for epoxying frags to rock. I would appreciate any input.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on the plug, if the frag has attached (grown over) the plug you can either cut the frag from the base or use a dremel to cut the plug down to a reasonable size. If the frag is just glued you can probably work a razor around and under the hardened glue to work the frag free. I prefer to use 'Two Little Fishies' epoxy for lps and crazy glue for sps. Tip: If sps, you can glue the base of the frag and wait for it to slightly gel before submersing into the water; otherwise, you can glue the frag to a small piece of lr and epoxy it to your rockwork.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Or try and wedge the plug in the rock somewhere. Sometimes I just do this and leave them on the plug.

Otherwise, I agree with what Innovator said
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

does the two little fishies epoxy cloud the water? Do any of your corals close up and get annoyed because of it? I have been using a 2 part epoxy made by DD ROWA called Aquascape. I picked it up at Vivid Aquariums because that was all they had at the store.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used the Two Little Fishies stuff, the Marineland HoldFast stuff, and the Rowa stuff you mentioned.

Of the three, the TLF stuff is my favorite. No cloudiness, but it'll make your skimmer go happy for a few hours. The Rowa stuff is good too, but I've found you can avoid that cloudiness if you do the initial mixing/kneading in a little container of salt water, separate from your tank. It also seems to have a slow set time compared to the TLF stuff, so I've "helped it along" by nuking it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so depending on the amount. (Just be careful... that stuff gets really hot really quick.) After the nuke, then I cool it off in the water again.

I've never had any corals have any issues with any of the epoxies.

The color of the "coraline" Rowa is great, but I guess TLF makes some that color too.

(Oh... and I'll NEVER buy the HoldFast stuff again. That stuff just seems the least "stickiest" of them all - not that any of them really have any stickiness to them.)
Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

you are the man, thanks a million
Old 03-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I find that superglue gel works great. Moisture is what makes it set!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Super glue gel is the way to go. If you are attaching an SPS to anything rock or plug a neat little trick is to drill an indention into the rock or plug with a masionary bit and pool the superglue gel in the indention and place the SPS in the gel. I use the DD Aquascape epoxy and love the stuff.

Side note...if you are going to try and remove the frag from the plug it is on be VERY careful. SPS break easily and you don't want to frag your frag.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

super glue gel? Is that a new product? Its not regular superglue is it?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Super glue gel is not new. You can get the no name stuff from the Everythings a dollar store or the loctite brand from home depot. Does not matter what brand really.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com