Proper placement in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always read that you never disturb a DSB. Let the sand dwelling critters like nassarius snails keep the top layer aerated.

Here is kind of what I remember was explained to me. Use half inch egg crate. That allows the dead space.. 2 inches of crushed coral. That allows more movement because it's bigger and less compacting.. Then 2-4 inches of sand. I used aragonite. And then live sand on top.. It's not a true plenum. Because I was told to used mesh screen between each later.. I only used it between crate and crush coral.. And I relooked at my bed.. And it's only 4-5 inches deep including the crate..

Google reef Eden dsb. The guy gives a great explanation of it.. Lot of reading. But worth it I think..

The largest grains will always surface. You can't keep the fine sand on top for long. I would not add any crushed coral to my system.

Welllll now you tell me... Lol well I don't want to really tear it all out n start over..

Oh, I know that method. It's been around since the late 90s. Mike Paletta (sp?) used to talk about it in is his articles from time to time. I don't remamber what the general concenses was on it but it wasn't that uncommon in refugiums and occasionally in display tanks. Some people even used egg crate to hold the live rock just at the top of the sand to help it "breathe".

That's how a lot of people do it here. Some just use egg crate n sand.. Some put cruch coral at the bottom. They don't elevate the crate.. I'm learning that this hobby is done 10000 ways n all succeed.. Well u know what I mean..

I sure do. You certainly won't need to worry about the different layers mixing with the screen dividing them. It also keeps sand sifters from going deep. I've read that the drawback with the layer screen is detritus eaters like bristle worms are also kept out of the bottom but I don't know how true that is, or even if it's important.

So I should be ok then. I only have screen at the bottom.. I thought about it.. Won't the screen clog up anyways? At least if it does I only have one layer n not 3 ..

Ah. I didn't see your post update. Mr X is right. The fine sand will settle to the bottom and the larger particles will eventually work their way higher. The purpose of the screen between the layers is to prevent that. That really can cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom