Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Proper placement in sump

I have seen all kind of setups for sump/refugium combos. Which is really a better placement for the skimmer? Inlet section or outlet section?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Put the skimmer first. Intake with skimmer/refugium/return
I would rather not leave yet another obstacle for the pods to navigate through, before they make it to the display.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mr x. I just read a few forums last night that were very involving.. Making me very confused!! Lol. The forums were stating. Refugiums are pretty much bad... I've been told a fuge is a good thing to have.. Helps with many things.. Everything there saying not to do... Leave light on 24 hrs.. They say not to use a light.. Fuge is for macro to control trates.. There saying its a haven for diatoms.. So you'll always see brown in your display... I'm about to either give up n go back to freshwater.. Or stop reading forums!! Lol
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Refugiums are good to have to control the nitrates before they get to your display tank. That's what the micro algae is for. Some people leave their light on 24/7 but I turn mine off at night. If I don't, red algae forms on the sandbed. You can always add livestock to the refugium to eat the diatoms.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like you read some really wacky info there.

The word "refugium" is taken from "refuge". It's a place, free of predation, where valuable pods and algae can grow. The pods feed the tank. The algae absorbs nutrients.
Diatoms will only grow if there are enough silicates to sustain them. If you have an abundance of silicates in your system, diatoms will grow everywhere, not just in the refugium. Refugiums do not produce silica.
Here is some information about silica.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

You definitely do not want anything in the refugium that eats anything. That defeats the entire purpose of the "refuge". It doesn't matter if cyano, diatoms, or nuisance algae grow in the refugium.
I don't keep my refugium light on 24/7 because I want the pods to have a night time. Ideally, I would want the refugium light to go on opposite the display, but at this point I can't run it that way, so it's on around the same time as the display.
The reason folks say to run the light 24/7 is so your caulerpa doesn't go sexual and release nutrients into the tank. If you aren't using caulerpa for nutrient export, it's pointless to run it 24/7.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have the umbrella macro in my fuge. with a 7'' later of sand and crushed coral. the diatoms are now starting to thrive in there aswell as my display. i just added a computer desk light with 50w flood light, its been running 24/7 since thursday, i got onto those forums because i have been wondering about cleaning the fuge . or just let it grow all the agae in there with the light being on 24/7...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let the algae grow. The larger your algae colony, the more nutrients it's absorbing. What is umbrella algae? Caulerpa Peltata? That would need to be pruned from time to time IMO.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a 7" DSB you probably have lots of silicates in your fuge. Unfortunately you will likely see diatoms in your DT because if that. I understand the benignity of a DSB and the anaerobic bacteria it houses, but personally I don't think it a great risk-reward trade off. The danger of H2S gas release killing everything doesn't seem worth it when a cheato ball or other macro algae is as or more effective in nitrate control.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Benignity is a word that means benefit. At least if you spell it benifit it duz.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do you figure a deep sand bed would be producing soluble silica? A calcium based sand bed would not, and a quartz sand bed wouldn't either. If that was the case, your glass tank would be producing it as well.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com