Proper way to put FOWLR into storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone!

So I'm going to be moving and won't be able to keep my tank up and running for a couple years. I don't want to sell everything off as I have too much invested in the tank & will eventually want to start it back up once the new house is built.

I have over 150 lbs of live rock and LR rubble that I want to turn into dead rock but wasn't sure if I should just leave it out of water in the sun, or put it into fresh water, or bleach it? Again, down the line I will turn this dead rock back into LR by using LR to seed it if possible.

How would everyone recommend to do this the proper way?

Thanks!

just let everything die off...then rinse it off really well to avoid having it smell (make sure you get everything off). then put it in some kind of storage container, like a big rubbermaid plastic container.

Sounds easy enough... but as far as letting it die off... I need to drain the tank->> should I leave the rocks out of water or leave them in salt/fresh water while it dies?

i'd just take it out and leave it in a rubbermaid container in the yard. the rain will rinse it and it will dry out. once you want to use the rock again just rinse it off with vinager and water. place it in a bucket of fresh water and scrub it off and do a water change daily for a week or so to get all the crud off, then cycle it, or do a few rinses and put it in a container of saltwater wit ha powerhead and cycle it in there

Scrub the rock of any built up crud, then let the rock dry out thoroughly for a few days in the sun, then store it in a sealed Rubbermaid tub. Soak all your equipment in a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar to clean up all your pumps and heaters.(I like to have everything clean before I store it, makes it easier to start up again and cuts down on any odors.)

Then when your ready to start it up again, all you need to do is set it back up, rinse the rocks off with RO water, and your good to go.

Back
Top Bottom