Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pro's and Con's about Yellow Hawaiian Tang

We'd like to add some more fish eventually to our 60 gallon and I know that most tangs need 100+ gallon. I like the yellow tangs but I don't want to just rush out and get one only to find out it was a big mistake for the corals we have and also for the fish itself.

Does anyone own one of these if so how "hardy" is it really, sometimes I'm so tired of seeing that "hardy" word, nothing is hardy unless you know how to take care of it. I plan on doing more reading but your input would really sway us one way or the other.

Thanks!

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Just added a yellow tang in my system. He is the only fish in there now along with invertibrates. I wouldn't consider the yellow tangs as hardy as some other fish, but he's doing well so far...knock on glass, i mean wood. GL!

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think they are fairly hardy, i hear the can get ick and black ick easily, there great algae grazers, and always swimming around and add bright color too your tank.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The guy from my lfs told me that when they started the store, an employee made a mistake and brought the salinity to 1.035, and the only fishes that survived were two yellow tangs, so id say we can call them hardy fishes! 8)
Old 11-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Hardy, as far as a Tang can be hardy. Tangs as a whole are susceptible to disease, however the yellow is considered a bit more resistant. It is not quite a damsel, but given good conditions and plenty of room, she should be a long lived specimen.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everyone! Not sure if we are going to go the tang, we both really like the spotted cardinal so we may end up with a couple of those
Old 11-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would add this fish last !!! other wise will prob kill anything else ya add very very aggressive
Old 11-25-2003, 04:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what fish the tang or the cardinal? here's the cardinal we are thinking of getting http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...d=21&pCatId=85
Old 11-25-2003, 04:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

the tang i had to pull mine out due to killing everything !! i rather have a biter than deal with the spikes on their tales
Old 11-25-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i will never have one in a reef tank again just my thought

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com