Pros and Cons of a Hexagon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taygel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to upgrade from my biocube and saw a 75 Hex with sump and stand for 100$. Seems to good to be true! Anybody have any advice on the hexagon tank for a reef?

Cheers
Nick

Very hard to manage good flow throughout. I would much rather have a standard 75. With reef tanks, the larger the footprint, the better off you are.

I don't like hex tanks , I have a 35g hex FW tank , its just a big P.I.T.A. to clean it's so deep you practically have to stand on a foot stool to get into it to clean , and you still wind up going swimming getting to the bottom lol

I have a 75 hex it's only 20" tall with great flow all around. Same as a standard 75 just the two front corners are angled. For the price go check it out mine works and looks great as a reef.

I was thinking this shape-
images

I have a 35g hex that had been FW, but I am going to turn that into my saltwater QT, as my son's hermit crab science fair project hijacked my QT. It will be bare bottom, so not a problem, but they are tough to clean. I would assume even more for a reef and a 75g.

Depending on tank dimensions this is what I assumed a 75 was.

Attachments

• image-1114243532.jpg
    image-1114243532.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 101
Got an email out for the dimensions. I'm hoping its the one with a flat back. Flow is most likely easier in that one. Depending on the conditions.... 100$ for tank, sump and stand is still pretty good!

I have a 50gal hex all the way around that's a whopping 31 inches tall. I cannot reach the bottom unless i'm standing on a big stool. I bought it from someone on craigslist super cheap. I currently am just using it as a FOWLR.

Back
Top Bottom