Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I use the dump method as you indicated, that way each side of the turf mat gets light.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm thinking mine will go straight up and down... Vertical .. 2 rows across . Or do you think 2 rows of screen is not necessary ?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 layers of screen? No. You only want a single screen or else you will end up blocking light between the screens. Make sure it's plenty rough too.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not 2 layers together. Separated my like 10". Two plumbed screens in a large tub. With lights in each side and one on top. I seen a video on YouTube if a guy doing this. But wasn't sure if it was over kill
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on tank size and feeding amount really. So you're talking about parallel screens. The issue then is getting light to both sides of the inside sides of each screen.

Scrubbers sized for feeding rates are much smaller than those sized per tank volume so remember that with your design. That can change everything.

Also vertical 2-sided screens need be only 1/4 the size of horizontal single sided. 12 sq in for each cube of food fed per day, or the equivalent, as long as the flow is good, roughness is good, and lighting is per guideline
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much flow do you think? 100gph. 400 gph? I read too much will cause algae to not stick. Too little you get more bacteria..
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

All relative to screen width. Go through that 'basics' series of posts - about 12 or so of them.

You need 35 GPH for each inch of screen width. That's the general guideline.

Detachment has 99% to do with screen roughness. This video I show how I use to do it, now I make a few passes across the screen with a wire brush on a drill (crimp style) at low to medium speed (NOT high speed) to take the 'shine' off the screen, deep into the mesh. Then I go at it with the saw blade, but only in small circles, starting at one side and then progressing across, roughing up about 5-8 rows with each pass.

Algae Scrubber Screen Rough-up Process - Quick and Easy - YouTube

Initial screen break-in can be done at a lower flow rate, but again this is all related to roughness, if it's rough enough, not a worry generally. If you're having a hard time getting growth to start then you might back off the flow, but then lighting might be too much and might burn what growth you have. So you have to adjust lighting intensity and/or duration when you adjust flow. Same goes for the other direction - increasing flow.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Thank you! My tank is 150 gallons. But in my basement I'm thinking I'm going to have an additional 300 plus or minus gallons . I can't wait to get started on this! Haha
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So will this take hair algae away from in the tank? And what about phosphate testing? Will that be something not to worry about anymore?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you get into that volume, IMO, the tank volume starts to become a little more of a factor that drives up the screen size, because of turnover rate. You can only put so much water over a given width of screen before you start hitting a point of diminishing returns.

So what I would do is figure out your screen size based on feeding, then double it, and make it as wide as you can for the flow you have available. The more width, the more flow you can put across the screen.

We're kind of theadjacking here so maybe you want to start a new thread and I can help you with any questions on that....

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com