Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, ever since my very first scrubber, I've always gone with the fully enclosed acrylic box. But you don't have to go that far. You can hang thin acrylic sheets over the slot pipe as spray protectors for the lights, they might warp but they're cheap to replace. You can extend the screen down into the sump water to reduce splashing and bubbles, just don't count this additional area as effective filtration.

There's definitely more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to scrubbers.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a question.. How do you feed your skimmer . reactors and scrubber? Seperate pumps or from your return? I want to do away with multiple pumps and just use one.. How would I go about setting this up? Would the water just go into sump. Then the return feed all plus feed the main tank? Fuge , skimmer, frag tank. And scrubber just dump back into sump . I'm going to draw up a few ideas. If I figure out something I like. Ill post a pic of my drawing. . Need as many ideas as I can get!! Haha

Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Pros and cons of an algae scrubber

My main return empties into my dump bucket. That washes over the algae beds on its way to the sump under it. Gravity feeds the system, one big pump lifts the processed water back to the main reef. The algae sump is then also connected on a secondary loop that has a 50 g brute trash can that the skimmers sit around. That loop also has the heater/chiller equipment hooked to it. Then that system has a third loop that goes to carbon and purigen filtration as well as about 100 gallons of frag tanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I won't be doing the dump bucket. So if I have the inlet to sump going straight to scrubber.. It would either be too much. Or be backing up
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greg, I'm getting loopy trying to follow your loops

I run all scrubbers on dedicated pumps. I didn't always, but it's safer. The reason is not the algae clogging anything, it's something getting into the plumbing and stopping up the slot pipe from the inside. Snail, anemone, etc.

Ok so if you want to minimize pumps then you need to have a dual overflow system, and you need to tune it such that 100% of the flow can go through the path that the scrubber is not on. If you only have one overflow, then you need to create a bypass. This is rather simple but must be thought out so that it allows full bypass flow in the event of a 100% clog, without causing a tank overflow AND without allowing the bypass pathway to let water through it under normal operation.

Basically, it's a pipe loop that tees off before the scrubber, rises up as high as possible (up the back side of the tank, if possible) then into a open tee and back down. This allows head pressure from the overflow pipe to 'build' on top of the slot/screen junction and keep the scrubber working. The slot has a variable head pressure throughout the weekly growth cycle, so towards the end, you might be maintaining a few feet of head in the overflow pipe because of algae wanting to grow into the slot/screen junction. The head pressure prevents this from happening, and you want the head pressure. If your bypass is too low in relation to the level of the slot pipe, your extra head pressure will go right by the scrubber and your screen will eventually get zero flow and die.

Here are a few hand sketches I made a while back to explain this concept.

The first pic might be for a single-level system. The second one was one I sketched up for someone with a basement sump.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That was the other upside to the dump bucket. There is no point where my scrubber can back up. The slot method is simpler, but as mentioned it needs a emergency bypass if the slots clog.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a dual overflow.. But I seem a design on YouTube were a guy had his return hard plumped and the PVC going by the sump had 4 valves. One fed skimmer one fed scrubber. And so on. And each one dumped right back into the sump or was already in the sump like the skimmer. But I asked because I thought you would have everything go before the return. But I guess it wouldn't really matter.. As it would either loop around back to the sump or make into the display..
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry for my amazing spelling!! I'm doing this on an iPhone that likes to change my wording just to make me look bad!! This phone hates me!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read between the lines and got all of it, no worries!

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com