Pros and cons of an algae scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think this goes along with my thread. Different ways and right and wrong ways to successfully run a scrubber.. Do you run in on its own. Or does water pass thru the top? I mean is there another exit for the water. Or is it just flow to the screen?

Ok. Do you have yours just dumping into the sump ? Can you post pictures?

This is an older version of what I have on this tank now but it gives you an idea of the general concept.

img_2821739_0_cc12ca5db8d0f15ca1d7fee0fbdd8609.jpg

I am horribly lacking in uploaded photos, I have hundreds on my PC but haven't had time to scale them back and upload. Here is another one, same unit as the above, just sitting on a piece of acrylic, you can see the sump beneath

img_2821739_1_3767fc7c50593a6550f76b363196e8f3.jpg

So yours just dumps straight into your sump. All open? Or is there a drain hole? Very nice setup!

Ok here is a current set of how I have the one in the first tank set up. Larger unit.

before

img_2821775_0_a5c4f0c0b983976910ae9f374fd58f71.jpg

after (used new screen, cut up old one to seed it)

img_2821775_1_0590af6821a0d8db46116587fbd54fc0.jpg

LED lights on (back side only, other fixture removed)

img_2821775_2_80d45738c13024a793b284e739830766.jpg

I route the drain into a filter sock but that's just for trapping bubbles

img_2821775_3_a51cb226ff22931e9d2871e80e1b9425.jpg

10 days growth

img_2821775_4_5824ac74165991e230389bac007439e2.jpg

15 days

img_2821775_5_53fcf8badf4056184dd22064408cdd4e.jpg

img_2821775_6_97b62533bcc76c8303f54ed5d1bcda5a.jpg

img_2821775_7_e34d7832db259708c978544e75e33a4c.jpg

This is on a 200g tank. The smaller unit had a tough time keeping up. The larger unit is staying ahead of the curve. Lots of big tangs in the tank!

That's sweet looking! Is that a home made box you made to keep it enclosed?

That is a nice compact design. Mine is 5 times that large. Impractical unless you have a room for filtration.
But they all do the same thing. I harvest almost 5 pounds of wet algae every month. That's a lot of nitrogen waste products going into the land fill. Imagine where all that stuff would have ended up in your system before converting into nitrogen gas, eventually.

Yeah, ever since my very first scrubber, I've always gone with the fully enclosed acrylic box. But you don't have to go that far. You can hang thin acrylic sheets over the slot pipe as spray protectors for the lights, they might warp but they're cheap to replace. You can extend the screen down into the sump water to reduce splashing and bubbles, just don't count this additional area as effective filtration.

There's definitely more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to scrubbers.

Here's a question.. How do you feed your skimmer . reactors and scrubber? Seperate pumps or from your return? I want to do away with multiple pumps and just use one.. How would I go about setting this up? Would the water just go into sump. Then the return feed all plus feed the main tank? Fuge , skimmer, frag tank. And scrubber just dump back into sump . I'm going to draw up a few ideas. If I figure out something I like. Ill post a pic of my drawing. . Need as many ideas as I can get!! Haha

My main return empties into my dump bucket. That washes over the algae beds on its way to the sump under it. Gravity feeds the system, one big pump lifts the processed water back to the main reef. The algae sump is then also connected on a secondary loop that has a 50 g brute trash can that the skimmers sit around. That loop also has the heater/chiller equipment hooked to it. Then that system has a third loop that goes to carbon and purigen filtration as well as about 100 gallons of frag tanks.

Last edited:
I won't be doing the dump bucket. So if I have the inlet to sump going straight to scrubber.. It would either be too much. Or be backing up

Greg, I'm getting loopy trying to follow your loops :)

I run all scrubbers on dedicated pumps. I didn't always, but it's safer. The reason is not the algae clogging anything, it's something getting into the plumbing and stopping up the slot pipe from the inside. Snail, anemone, etc.

Ok so if you want to minimize pumps then you need to have a dual overflow system, and you need to tune it such that 100% of the flow can go through the path that the scrubber is not on. If you only have one overflow, then you need to create a bypass. This is rather simple but must be thought out so that it allows full bypass flow in the event of a 100% clog, without causing a tank overflow AND without allowing the bypass pathway to let water through it under normal operation.

Basically, it's a pipe loop that tees off before the scrubber, rises up as high as possible (up the back side of the tank, if possible) then into a open tee and back down. This allows head pressure from the overflow pipe to 'build' on top of the slot/screen junction and keep the scrubber working. The slot has a variable head pressure throughout the weekly growth cycle, so towards the end, you might be maintaining a few feet of head in the overflow pipe because of algae wanting to grow into the slot/screen junction. The head pressure prevents this from happening, and you want the head pressure. If your bypass is too low in relation to the level of the slot pipe, your extra head pressure will go right by the scrubber and your screen will eventually get zero flow and die.

Here are a few hand sketches I made a while back to explain this concept.

img_2822119_0_e735628c0eb50c2cbfbc418aed53214c.jpg

img_2822119_1_470cf39bbc74ce1e8c638f50af9a16d7.jpg

The first pic might be for a single-level system. The second one was one I sketched up for someone with a basement sump.

That was the other upside to the dump bucket. There is no point where my scrubber can back up. The slot method is simpler, but as mentioned it needs a emergency bypass if the slots clog.

I have a dual overflow.. But I seem a design on YouTube were a guy had his return hard plumped and the PVC going by the sump had 4 valves. One fed skimmer one fed scrubber. And so on. And each one dumped right back into the sump or was already in the sump like the skimmer. But I asked because I thought you would have everything go before the return. But I guess it wouldn't really matter.. As it would either loop around back to the sump or make into the display..

Sorry for my amazing spelling!! I'm doing this on an iPhone that likes to change my wording just to make me look bad!! This phone hates me!

Back
Top Bottom