Pro's and Con's of Clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melosu58 said:
You need a mature tank of at least a year. Need lots of pods for them. A big tank with lots of LR is needed to house the pods. If you were to get one make sure you see it eat prepared food at the LFS.

Thanks. He explained they eat pods and im in no position to provide that yet. He also mentioned fire clowns? He has some coming in later today

First i wanna thank you guys for the on the fly answers while I was at the lfs. Really appreciated it.

I think I've settled on 2 black clowns. The store I went to check out yesterday had some and they looked real good. He also ONLY sells tank bred. He made a point of telling me that. He also wouldnt sell me anything yesterday cause I didnt have a water sample. His store looked more like an office than anything with huge tanks everywhere and a seperate frag room too. So I'm thinking that's where I'll get most of my stuff.

However, I did buy something. I absolutely couldnt resist. And I know some people are gonna go oh no, mistake...but I did it anyways.
I bought a pink tipped anemone. :) It's my first real living thing in this tank other than cuc and i know I should have waited. It was just so beautiful. Guy told me how to care for it and even showed me how you feed it.

I hope I didn't make a huge error in judgement. My first baby. :)))

You're gonna have your hands full with that nem. What kinda lighting ya got? Likely not enuf to support it either. And in a new tank while still adding stuff, your tank isn't stable enuf yet. Good luck. I'll do my "I told you so" now. Later, you'll be too upset to hear it. :)

Good luck!

I've got a 30" quad T5. 96 watts total. if you don't mind, would you tell me some of the pitfalls I may encounter other than water stability? I knew better than to just throw fish in there but I was literally mesmorized by the anemone. i will do all in my power to see that it flourishs.

I'm not the nem expert by a long shot, I just know they need sufficient light. What sufficient is, I dunno, but you may be there. Maybe some of nem folks can chime in. Or, look it up and read about it.

On the pitfalls.... lighting, water stability, getting sucked into powerheads, feeding.

Okie Dokie. :) I'll start a new thread. And go read up some. People's experiences can sometimes be a better teacher than an article.

Thanks again.

The LFS wouldn't sell you a fish but sold you an anemone.
I'm confused, LOL

So there's Amiphron Ocellaris and Ampihron Percula. Ocellaris are false percs and Perculas are True. False percs are always tank-raised, thus, hardier. Although, you can get tank raised True Percs as well. If you get a wild True, they can be less hardy, may have disease. Trues are also more likely to host a nem, but many ppl have just as much luck with False hosting.

The coloration of the Trues is more bold as well. I like True over False. My preference. But I also bought B&W and Semi-Picasso because I;'m mesmerized by the colors. and pattern.

Ok so the goal is to get true percs. Gotcha. The shop I intend from buying does all tank raised so I should be ok. What would the black and white ones be called? True percs? Or do they have an exotic name? lol

Thanks for the quick clarification btw :)

usually the full black and white are black and white ocellaris, on occasion there are onyx true perculas

i dont think ocellaris are always tank raised

I wish I could go get those fish now. I promised my boyfriend he could come and help pick em out. lol So gotta wait for saturday. boo!

Any size good when I pick? Do I want the small ones or medium ones? One store yesterday gave me the super hard sell on a 3-4 inch at least clownfish. He told me it was a male and he'd get me a female.

I kinda wanna see them grow up like I'm doing with my cichlids.

I already have an anenome but unfortunately I picked a condy which I've read dont host clowns. Not sure if I should get another anen. or hope they acclimate to the one I've got.

Decisions decisions...I love this hobby!

Yes, I believe its a pink tipped condy. Thats what the fish guy told me and what my research seems to confirm.

i would take it back and get a different kind of anemone, as the condys from my experience and what ive read, will actually eat the clownfish.

also i said basically the same in my thread, didnt know if you realized it was the same person, so just stating

I agree, as far as the two get one that is larger then the other, You will get less aggresion as the larger will become the female and the smaller the male. Also Condys will eat your clowns if they get the chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom