Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
different stores. lol
Oh was also wondering what the differences in clowns were. Ive seem true percs clownfish and other terminology used.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

So there's Amiphron Ocellaris and Ampihron Percula. Ocellaris are false percs and Perculas are True. False percs are always tank-raised, thus, hardier. Although, you can get tank raised True Percs as well. If you get a wild True, they can be less hardy, may have disease. Trues are also more likely to host a nem, but many ppl have just as much luck with False hosting.

The coloration of the Trues is more bold as well. I like True over False. My preference. But I also bought B&W and Semi-Picasso because I;'m mesmerized by the colors. and pattern.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so the goal is to get true percs. Gotcha. The shop I intend from buying does all tank raised so I should be ok. What would the black and white ones be called? True percs? Or do they have an exotic name? lol

Thanks for the quick clarification btw
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

usually the full black and white are black and white ocellaris, on occasion there are onyx true perculas

i dont think ocellaris are always tank raised
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wish I could go get those fish now. I promised my boyfriend he could come and help pick em out. lol So gotta wait for saturday. boo!

Any size good when I pick? Do I want the small ones or medium ones? One store yesterday gave me the super hard sell on a 3-4 inch at least clownfish. He told me it was a male and he'd get me a female.

I kinda wanna see them grow up like I'm doing with my cichlids.

I already have an anenome but unfortunately I picked a condy which I've read dont host clowns. Not sure if I should get another anen. or hope they acclimate to the one I've got.

Decisions decisions...I love this hobby!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

is that pink tipped nem by chance a pink tipped condylactus? or are they two different species?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes, I believe its a pink tipped condy. Thats what the fish guy told me and what my research seems to confirm.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I'd go with smaller ones if possible. Just think, they're younger and will live longer.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

i would take it back and get a different kind of anemone, as the condys from my experience and what ive read, will actually eat the clownfish.

also i said basically the same in my thread, didnt know if you realized it was the same person, so just stating
Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, as far as the two get one that is larger then the other, You will get less aggresion as the larger will become the female and the smaller the male. Also Condys will eat your clowns if they get the chance.

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com