Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pros and Cons of Filter Sock

I'm not sure if everyone is using filter sock in their sump and if there is any cons when using it. I intended to reserve some nutrients for my filter feeders corals but one thing I notice after several weeks, my cyano and algae starts building up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The only cons, I think, are noise, size, and you have to keep changing them. You can clean them by your self. NEVER USE SOAP!You just have to put them in a bucket, or the washing machine and add bleach, water and let them air dry. If you use the washing machine a good habit to get into it to do a rinse cycle before hand. A major pro for me is that they also can filter micro bubbles.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I dont really see any cons to using filter socks.....I use them on all my setups and couldnt imagine not having them. Just seeing the amount of gunk they catch is enough motivation for me lol.

You just have to swap them out is the only con i guess....
Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

One con i can think of is that when feeding the pump has to be shut off. Otherwise it catches the floating food that could still be available for livestock. Shortens life of pump too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest not using bleach to clean filter socks. I need to find the article, but it shows that bleach just makes the algae and crud white, not actually taking it out. However, if you use hydrogen peroxide, it eats the organics and actually get's rid of the algae and crud. This was all shown under a microscope.

I use personally use filter socks, just because I always seem to have bits of poo floating around.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

They cost money, can clog up very quickly, and steal food from your filter feeders. I don't use them unless they are already on a client's tank, then I am happy to sell them every visit. For some clients it is the right thing, for others who won't touch them they just clog up and stop working halfway between my visits.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pros and Cons of Filter Sock

I have them on my tank. Yes i agree that they clog up fast, but for good reason. I am impressed with the amount of gunk they filter out of the water prior to it decomposing and adding to a nitrate problem. Mine last about 5 days, and i have 5 of them. I turn them inside out, toss them in washing machine with nothing else, run a hot cycle with extra rinse. Every second time they get washed, I dump in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. They come out clean, and still last for 5 days like a brand new one does. I have my tank return plumbed in to the sock at a 45' angle, discharging 3/4" below water surface. This way, when it does plug up and I miss it. It calmly overflows back into sump without making a mess all over. I love using them. I didnt have them on my old tank and wish I did! Most particles that filter feeders consume are considerably smaller than 200 micron, the size of sock that I use. So the small particles stay in the water column when they pass through the sock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

If the filter feeders are eating it there won't be a nitrate problem since it isn't just sitting around rotting. IME unless the reef has a lot of large fish to feed it is better to let that stuff stay in and feed the tank.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't use them anymore.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Rather than using actual filter socks, I've been using cheap panty hose. Changed out and thrown out as needed. Considered going back to actual filter socks if I could find the right material to make my own.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com