Pros and cons of vodaka dosing? Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the pros and cons of vodka dosing. I have a 210 gallon reef tank Lps dominated. I would like to keep my phosphates and nitrates as low as possible. Would I be better off using a reactor for GFO and Carbon or try vodka dosing since the reactor won't do anything for my nitrates? Please advice from people who do or did vodka dosing only. I read the same material everyone else did but I want some real hands on experienced people. Please not being rude its just a risky idea for someone to throw out what the think is right lol.

It is just a source of carbon to promote bacterial growth. I prefer bio pellets as they release carbon more slowly and evenly.

That's what I use. I replaced my GFO and carbon with a dual reactor. Purigen in one chamber and BRS bio pellets in the other. I feed a lot of food daily and my phosphates stay around .07ppm. But I also have a big Hydor skimmer and a algae scrubber. The reactors are for that final water "polishing."

Last edited:
That's what I use. I replaced my GFO and carbon with a dual reactor. Purigen in one chamber and BRS bio pellets in the other. I feed a lot of food daily and my phosphates stay around .07ppm.

You have the 300 gallon tank right? Would they BRS dual reactor with the MJ 1200 be enough for my 210?

You have the 300 gallon tank right? Would they BRS dual reactor with the MJ 1200 be enough for my 210?

I used the LifeGard fluidized sand filters ($69) and modified them a bit. The BRS reactor should work fine. Purigen is very light so it needs low flow rates (use a valve) and the bio pellets need a higher flow rate to keep them jiggling around.

One big advantage over vodka is you can't hardly over dose bio pellets. They add carbon as they slowly dissolve on a constant basis. Not that vodka doesn't work. But water changes and the pellets work pretty good.

Last edited:
One big advantage over vodka is you can't hardly over dose bio pellets. They add carbon as they slowly dissolve on a constant basis. Not that vodka doesn't work. But water changes and the pellets work pretty good.

Ok I just traded all of my coral In to my shop and took home about $450 worth of fish in place of it. I work too much to up keep a reef tank unless its at the store Haha plus I really wanted some fish that weren't reef safe. I target fed too and it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. My new tank inhabitants keep me happy.

Attachments

• image-3783995029.jpg
    image-3783995029.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom