Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not sure if im using RO/DI but im pretty sure it is because they offer it as a service at my LFS. I actually purchase my water from my LFS because for me its easier, and I am going to stop tonight on the way home from work to ask them, and pick up some live rock that is rubble. I would rather spend the few hours a day watching the tank instead of mixing water and salt. Besides I do not have a fiter at my home. The water I purchased is premixed with salt, and is already 1.023 so its right on the money for me. I feed my fish once a day in the evening when they are active and swimming arround. I am going to take out some of the bio balls and clean them tonight. Im only going to do a few, and go from there. I was thinking of just getting a different color bio ball, and then exchange one set for the other over the coarse of a few weeks to see if that helps. I have about 50 lbs of live rock. Here is a pic of my fish tank www.neonhybrid.com/weblog/images/fishtank.JPG

When I moved the tank, i kept all the substrate which i now know is crushed coral, and about 90% of the water. I know the bio balls have never been cleaned, so im going to start there.

I understand that everyone is trying to help and its really appreciated, but I am going to be leaving in about an hour and a half to go home, and I need to get an answer on the rock. Is it ok to remove all the bio balls, then put some rock in then put the bio bals over it? I want to remove a few bio balls a day and replace them with rock. Is this possible? Can someone please read over my posts and help me out, Im really worried about my fish, and i want to try and get this thing working correctly

neon_hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
45 min to go....

Help me!!!! 8)

Old 02-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just change out a few at a time, you dont need to shock the system by changing them all at once, the lr ruble will need time to build up the beneficial bacteria on it. You may want to get all the ruble you need and somehow put in the main tank and let it start in their before changing it out.
150 rr Oceanic, 300 pound lr,250 pounds ls, lps's, polyp's,soft corals, sps's,
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
well, i checked with the previous owner and he has never cleaned them. I pulled the cover over my bio balls, and there has to be about 300 of them. Alot of them have a green algae lookin substance on them. Im assuming that this is where the nitrates are coming from? Changing a few at a time will take 6 mos to complete, and by that time, ill need to do it again. There has to be an easier way than this. Is it normal to have that many bio balls. These things are smaller than a ping pong ball. So, if Im going to clean them, how many should I do at a time?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
1/4 of the bio balls at the time should be ok

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
No one but ourselves can free our minds.
Bob Marley
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filter help, protein

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com