Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Protein Skimmer?

I am getting ready to start up a new saltwater 105 gallon tank. The setup comes with a fluval Fx5 external filter. Do I still need to set up a sump tank as well? Do I need a protein skimmer as well, I plan on live rock,corals, and just a few fish. Thanks kitch40:

Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitch40 View Post
I am getting ready to start up a new saltwater 105 gallon tank. The setup comes with a fluval Fx5 external filter. Do I still need to set up a sump tank as well? Do I need a protein skimmer as well, I plan on live rock,corals, and just a few fish. Thanks kitch40:
You can start off with just the external filter if you must, but if you want to get into corals as you mentioned, eventually a sump and protein skimmer will be a must have, IMO.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you plan on keeping corals an in sump system for a 105 gallon is a must have IMO or you will just cost yourself more money in the long run. Do it right the first time

Get your tank drilled before getting water into it. Go pick your self up a sump tank, 40 gallon is good size for your tank. Get a protein skimmer, vertex are good. Get a return pump, mag 7 should be fine for yours and go from there.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Get your tank drilled before getting water into it. Go pick your self up a sump tank, 40 gallon is good size for your tank.
I agree. You won't need a protein skimmer right away. Get your tank up and running for a few months and then look into skimmers before you plan on getting corals.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes you can take your time and save up for the sump system. For now all you need is LR (100lbs, not even) a few power heads and basic lighting. Once you have cycled put some cleaner crew in there. You can keep fish and LR for now. Just make sure you drill the tank before setting it up or you will run into trouble once you add your sump :P

Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Although very nice, reef ready/pre drilled is not the only option to have a sump. On my first tank I had an eshopps overflow which worked fine to get the water from the non-drilled tank into the sump.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup that works too. But the cost of $40 to drill a hole (as long as its not tempered on the back, shouldnt be) is well worth it IMO. I only have the one hole drilled in mine for the overflowbox. My return line comes over the top of my aquarium, but still looks good.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com