Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to kloppy
protein skimmer

alright i just started to put fish in my aquarium whats the cheapest protein skimmer that still does a good job?? ahhhh im going broke because of my fish but i love em!! its fun...........

Old 04-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think you can get a prizm for about 80 USD online, and it seems to e doing a decent job so far but I have online had it running for a few weeks so we will see if it keeps up the performance. I am sure that many people will tell you that you need to get a aqua c remora or a bakpak but they are really expensive and if you don't want to break the bank the prizm is the way to go.

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The SeaClone 100 (up to 100 gallons) is another one that is fairly cheap. You will hear some who don't like it, but others are content with the price. Mine has been working fine after the initial break-in period.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to prisoner1572 Send a message via Yahoo to prisoner1572
You can make your own like I did and save even a bunch more money.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tell us how.?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:34 AM   #6

The bak pak or aqua c remora are pretty much the best hang ons availible. I would stay away from the prizm and the sea clone as they will give you nothing but poor performance and headaches.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to prisoner1572 Send a message via Yahoo to prisoner1572
its made out of pvc. you take a 4" pipe as tall as you want to make it
and cap one end. near the end make a hole for 1" pvc pipe. use elbow connectors to make the 1" pipe come up through the middle of the 4" to near the top and on the outside to about halfway. cut a hole near the top for an elbow connector. this is where the water will come out of the filter. it should be a good few inches down. the inner pipe should come up above this, or at least up to it. on the one outside, put an elbow and then a valve, you will need this to tweak the flow for perfect operation. now get a 2" pipe, this will go inside the 4". the 1" will be inside the 2". a 4" to 2" reducer will serve as a collection cup. i never found a 4 to 2 so i use a 3 to 2 reducer. this cup will go at the end of the 2" pipe sticking up. since the end cap is round you probably want to make some sort of feet. i used the 4" pipe and cut halves and glued them to the outside of my skimmer. put tube thingies on the end of the outlet and the valve, get a pump and hosing and attach it the pipe with the valve. an airline needs to go to the input end of the pump. this takes some tweaking with the speed of the water, placement and size of tubing.

if you can get it done, it will do amazing things for you and it is a lot less expensive.

need help or better explanations or maybe some pictures, wcwik@knox.edu

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com