protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kloppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alright i just started to put fish in my aquarium whats the cheapest protein skimmer that still does a good job?? ahhhh im going broke because of my fish but i love em!! its fun...........

I think you can get a prizm for about 80 USD online, and it seems to e doing a decent job so far but I have online had it running for a few weeks so we will see if it keeps up the performance. I am sure that many people will tell you that you need to get a aqua c remora or a bakpak but they are really expensive and if you don't want to break the bank the prizm is the way to go.

The SeaClone 100 (up to 100 gallons) is another one that is fairly cheap. You will hear some who don't like it, but others are content with the price. Mine has been working fine after the initial break-in period.

The bak pak or aqua c remora are pretty much the best hang ons availible. I would stay away from the prizm and the sea clone as they will give you nothing but poor performance and headaches.

its made out of pvc. you take a 4" pipe as tall as you want to make it
and cap one end. near the end make a hole for 1" pvc pipe. use elbow connectors to make the 1" pipe come up through the middle of the 4" to near the top and on the outside to about halfway. cut a hole near the top for an elbow connector. this is where the water will come out of the filter. it should be a good few inches down. the inner pipe should come up above this, or at least up to it. on the one outside, put an elbow and then a valve, you will need this to tweak the flow for perfect operation. now get a 2" pipe, this will go inside the 4". the 1" will be inside the 2". a 4" to 2" reducer will serve as a collection cup. i never found a 4 to 2 so i use a 3 to 2 reducer. this cup will go at the end of the 2" pipe sticking up. since the end cap is round you probably want to make some sort of feet. i used the 4" pipe and cut halves and glued them to the outside of my skimmer. put tube thingies on the end of the outlet and the valve, get a pump and hosing and attach it the pipe with the valve. an airline needs to go to the input end of the pump. this takes some tweaking with the speed of the water, placement and size of tubing.

if you can get it done, it will do amazing things for you and it is a lot less expensive.

need help or better explanations or maybe some pictures, wcwik@knox.edu

Back
Top Bottom