Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyingDutchman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a 60 gal. tank and will need a protein skimmer. Budget is an issue, so I was wondering which ones you guys would suggest that maybe doesn't cost a ton.

FlyingDutchman said:
I am getting a 60 gal. tank and will need a protein skimmer. Budget is an issue, so I was wondering which ones you guys would suggest that maybe doesn't cost a ton.

How much is a ton? For around $170.00 you can get the Aqua-C Remora which is considered one of the better skimmers for your size tank.

This is one of the items you really don't want to skimp on - better to wait and buy a good one than a cheapie you have to replace.
HTH.

IMO, you don't "need" a protein skimmer. If you're careful on feeding, run some type of carbon and do regular water changes you can get by. I don't have a protein skimmer on my FO tanks, but for a full reef I would recommend on.

I agree with above, better to get a good one now then a cheap one and want to upgrade later :wink:

I disagree with Jamal. The issue isnt just the food in the water; its the other DOC's. A skimmer is a must.

One thing that you didnt mention is if your going to need a HOB skimmer or a In Sump...that will make a big difference.

Squishy

SquishyFish said:
I disagree with Jamal. The issue isnt just the food in the water; its the other DOC's. A skimmer is a must.

One thing that you didnt mention is if your going to need a HOB skimmer or a In Sump...that will make a big difference.

Squishy

It would be a HOB. Well I couldn't afford the remora right away. I would have the tank before the skimmer. Do I need the skimmer right away? And what is the difference between say a seaclone or prizm and something like the aquac remora?

you can set up the tank without one. And save up for it. As mentioned, just be careful feeding and more frequent water changes are required. my first fo didn't have one for like 5 years, but after adding one the water quality improved.

You can start without a skimmer.
IMO the prizm line is too small for your size of tank, and there's a lot of debate on how effective they are on any tank.

as for SeaClone, there's a 50/50 split on whether they're worth using or not. The 50% that like them have modified them to be more efficient skimmers (needle valves and airstones, etc...just minor tweaks).

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have spent $90 on a Prizm Deluxe and instead would've bought a CPR bak-pak2 for $130.

Back
Top Bottom