Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

People sometimes tend to overlook ORP and the importance oxygen plays in our tanks, especially in relation to LED lighting and internal temperature of corals. I run a 20L without a skimmer, from a monetary standpoint, but my 90 has one, and I wouldn't do without it. Further more a skimmer doesn't remove nitrates, only thing that does that is a plant. Your skimmer removes dissolved organics, oils, acids, fats, wastes, ect.. So, its prevents a build up of a myriad of compounds, very few of which are actually "proteins." Anyways, yes I'd buy one, waste reduction and oxygen saturation. Read this: Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Protein Skimmer

Here's a in depth analysis of what's in skimate:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

Note about 30% of the liquid was organic waste. As in uneaten food and such. In my case I feed lots of home made protein in the form of fresh fish and clams. That's why I mentioned long chain proteins as they are captured by the bubbles very effectively. It also removes a lot of other nasty stuff as you mentioned. Some that is not removed by any other filtration system and could build up. But I agree, there is little if any downside to using one that I have heard of. Maybe depleting some elements if they run too wet.

And even though I found ORP is kind of relative to your system, it is a very good way to see the trend in oxidizing or oxygen availability in the tank.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally, I can determine the composition of my skimmate from a simple taste test. A sample of about a tablespoon spread on a crustini, or perhaps as a delectable pallet cleanser.

It was a really interesting read though. 26% of the sample was calcium carbonate? I want it back, save me some money.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yuk. Not my "cup of tea."

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, rot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com