Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mantowashisname

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been doing a lot of reading as well as researching and am at the point where i need to ask for some Input from everyone. I currently have a 55g tank with 50lbs live rock. I do 20% water changes every week. I am curious as to if I need to add a good quality skimmer or not. I figured that if I am Investing as much in my tank as I am, then why not just add a skimmer but I am not sure if it is really necessary. I was thinking of throwing a HOB reef octopus on there but want to get some input on people's thoughts of the actual need or lack of need for one. Any input would be freaky appreciated! Cheers

I'm nowhere near as experienced as many on this site but here is my 2 cents. I've had my 20 gallon reef running for about a year and a half. I've enjoyed moderate success I think, as I have not lost any livestock and my corals are mostly growing well. I can always tell how my water is by seeing if my Duncan is sprouting any new heads. Anyway for the first year I did not run a skimmer. About 6 months ago I bought a bak pak 2 skimmer on ebay for $80 and it has been a game changer. Best purchase ever. My water is so clear and nitrates are always near zero. I can be much more lax about water changes than I used to be and with no ill effects. The skimmer was sooooo loud the first few days I wanted to rip it out of the wall but it calmed down a lot.

I'm currently converting my 20 gallon reef to a 40 gallon seahorse tank. Would not have the courage to do so if not for that skimmer!

Hey thanks for the input! That's awesome I think I'm going to get one today, it certainly can't hurt to have one so why not just do it right?my main concern was me just not having a large enough tank to really get any real benefit from using one.

Hi there
If you're doing 20% water change a week it may not be necessary for you to have to buy a protein skimmer though they are very good piece of equipment and help with bio load it doesn't necessarily mean you need one if I was you I would do a nitrate test first and decide from there there are a lot of successful tanks out there that don't run skimmers

I was also thinking that. My nitrates are low however not completely at 0 which is why I was beginning to lean towards one. My tank currently has 50lbs live rock a blue spotted puffer, a goby, an umbrella leather and a lobo so it's pretty light as far as livestock goes.

If it's mainly Fish you have and have no SPS nitrates of 20 would be ok but preferably under 10 in my opinion

I'm at 10but I want to be at zero consistently plus taking a little load off with the water changing amount and frequency might be nice as well

you don't need 1 but yes it will help some if you have coral ,
nitrates try to keep more towards 0 to 5 ppm
if your nitrates are high a lot you may want to check your phosphates as they all run in sink with each other somewhat

People sometimes tend to overlook ORP and the importance oxygen plays in our tanks, especially in relation to LED lighting and internal temperature of corals. I run a 20L without a skimmer, from a monetary standpoint, but my 90 has one, and I wouldn't do without it. Further more a skimmer doesn't remove nitrates, only thing that does that is a plant. Your skimmer removes dissolved organics, oils, acids, fats, wastes, ect.. So, its prevents a build up of a myriad of compounds, very few of which are actually "proteins." Anyways, yes I'd buy one, waste reduction and oxygen saturation. Read this: Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Here's a in depth analysis of what's in skimate:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

Note about 30% of the liquid was organic waste. As in uneaten food and such. In my case I feed lots of home made protein in the form of fresh fish and clams. That's why I mentioned long chain proteins as they are captured by the bubbles very effectively. It also removes a lot of other nasty stuff as you mentioned. Some that is not removed by any other filtration system and could build up. But I agree, there is little if any downside to using one that I have heard of. Maybe depleting some elements if they run too wet.

And even though I found ORP is kind of relative to your system, it is a very good way to see the trend in oxidizing or oxygen availability in the tank.

Last edited:
Personally, I can determine the composition of my skimmate from a simple taste test. A sample of about a tablespoon spread on a crustini, or perhaps as a delectable pallet cleanser.

It was a really interesting read though. 26% of the sample was calcium carbonate? I want it back, save me some money.

Back
Top Bottom