Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, i got my hands on a protein skimmer for DIRT cheap ... priced at $199.99 ... got it for $9.99 (yes you saw correctly!) Anyways ... I got the instructions for the skimmer and i have a drain spout that i know i need a hose hooked up to it. Anyways ... I have a hose that i can hook to it no problem ... what i am wondering is do i need a valve hooked to it so the water/scum can drain out or what? It is an Amiracle Protein skimmer.

TIA for any help with setup (i am tired and the instructions don't make sense)

if its just draining the scum from the colection cup then just hooking a hose up to it will do. but if you ever want to take the hose off your going to want to get a valve

No valve needed... There should be a red cap on the collection cup, and if you take it off, you can hook up a hose to it and feed it into some kind of trash can (milk container even) to just hold the waste so you don't have to clean it as often. Just let it flow freely into the container, and you'll be good to go.

Just make sure that the hose always runs downwards so there's no clog. Nice feature since you don't have to empty the thing daily. Most people use an empty gallon of milk that's cleaned out... easy to empty, and dirt cheap

~~Rob

To be honest, no. They don't compare, although they do say they're rated for high gallon tanks. If you want reliability, go with Aqua C. CPR is good for a smaller tank. I had mine and sold it. Unit before was WAY too finicky... had to be adjusted 3 times a day, wouldn't skim that much at all... was a big hassle. Amiracle makes good wet/dry units & overflow boxes... but I would stay away from their skimmers. If you can find one at an AWESOME price like $10... then it's at least worth a shot ;)

Do yourself a favor and save up some money for a good skimmer... just my opinion, but then again, I choose my reasons to go into debt. :mrgreen: .

~~Rob

Back
Top Bottom