Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no no no... that isn't why it crashed. all i know is i went out of town for 2 days and came home to a dead reef.

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m sorry to hear that. Hope this time will be better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I skim mine 24/7 have gone thru 5 different skimmers to find the one I was happy with, spent alot of money but isn't that part of the hobby?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatsDrool
wow, i always thought they had to run 24/7
Me Too... I have always run mine 24/7.

But I guess that's why I dose with Trace Elements..

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermurphy
... spent alot of money but isn't that part of the hobby?

Unfortunitly...

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmmm.....I don't always run mine 24/7, but for the most part it never shuts down. every once i a while I'll shut it off when I does phyto or other filter feeder foods and forget to turn it back on so the tank may go with 24 hours of no skimming but that doesn't happen very often. I've alway read to run the skimmer 24/7 so I tend to agree with those that have had a lot of success and run their skimmers all the time.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
IMO I would rather you do frequent PWC`s instead of adding trace elements. Your PWC`s contain all your trace and major elements. That`s what I do to keep trace elements replenished.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
IMO I would rather you do frequent PWC`s instead of adding trace elements. Your PWC`s contain all your trace and major elements. That`s what I do to keep trace elements replenished.

Unless your using a salt that you can verify contains trace elements, How would you be replenishing them?

RO/DI water has 0 of anything. Which is why I add Kent's OsmoPrep to replentish the vital minerals that RO/DI remove. I use IO salt which is know for not containing any benefitial elements, other than the salt.

Soon after this bucket is gone, I am planning on switching to Reef Crystals, so I may not be dosing then, till I see how the salt goes.

Also I have to dose some things. For example Calcium, and Magnesium. Both of which I have a test kit for, and test before dosing. Now that My Magnesium is starting to get in the proper range, and my calcium is comming up, I am starting to get more and more coraline growth.

On the same note. Running the Skimmer 24/7 as mentioned, removes many trace elements. So Unless I want to do a PWC every week (It's alot of work to do PWC, especially with REALLY slow RO/DI systems) I have to add something.

I have never seen any reverse affects by dosing my tank. But My Corals and Inverts are all happy, My inverts Molt as they should, and my corals are all very happy.

I Have however seen reverse affects by not having the proper consintration of trace elements.

My Water parameters are always good. So I am not too worried about it unless I start to see reverse affects.

-TheChad
Old 02-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You have to understand that marine salt has over 89 different salts in. This is where your trace elements come from. You will have the proper concentration of trace elements with just PWC`s IMO.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com