Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Protein Skimmer ADVICE ?????

I just picked up a my first protein skimmer today for my 55 gal SW. The tank has been setup for a few months and the canister doesn't seem to be filling with anything..... I adjusted the air valve and left it for a while and came back to a canister of clean water....... plus it seems as if I open the air valve at all it loads my tank with tiny bubbles...... any ideas ???? I have been using water conditioner/slime stuff for my water changes lately.... any help would be appreciated.......

Old 10-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I've read in many places that skimmers don't start working right away. give it a few days.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about telling us what brand and model of skimmer? Some skimmers work out of the box...some need various tweaking to work well....others are junk and a waste of money. We need to figure out which category you fall in.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's a Seaclone 150
Old 10-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I have a CPR Bak Pak 2R that BARELY pulls anything out of the water. But, for now I am assuming that it is because up to this point, my bio-load has been very small.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a venturi type?
Old 10-05-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
It's a Seaclone 150
We can classify this between the junk and needs tweaking categories

If you are using it hangon, you will ALWAYS have bubbles, the way they are, used in sump, not to bad, but good?? not so much

Good luck with this skimmer!!!

HTH, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
do you have a light bioload in your tank?

what type of fish do you have in there and how many? Do you have Live Rock? What kind of mechanical filtration do you have?
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to lreilly
I have seaclone. And it so far has worked very well for me. No problems and is all ways producing what it is suppose to. It did fill up with clean water one time after I used a conditioner with aloe. It says in the manual not to ( I read that after the fact), and it took a few hours of being off , before I was able to restart it with out the over flow of clean water in to the cup.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well right now I have ....

1 Med Foxface
1 Med Yellow Tang
1 SM Perc clown
1 SM Blue Damsel
1 SM Three stripe damsel

a handful of large turbos, about ten hermits, one fire shrimp, one cleaner shrimp, one chocolate star and one coral banded shrimp......

doesn't sound like a light bioload to me.... but it seems as if I adjust the air I get either bubbles in the tank, a cup full of water, or both... and yeah it's the venturi type....

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com