Protein Skimmer buying advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm looking to purchase my first protein skimmer for my tank... I have a 40gallon breeder tank.

No sump, or plans on getting one in the near future....

What do you people suggest? I've read that you can buy to big of a skimmer, so I want to make sure I dont over due it.

Eventualy I would like to upgrade to 55-100galon tank.

I found this guide: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=&aid=434

Are any of these units good?

i second the AquaC remora, IMO. I have heard lots og bad reviews on the seaclone... good luck!!

I recently bought a few things from drsfostersmith.com. I got a refracto (it was broken), I called customer service (very nice folks) and they are sending me a return slip. They didn't give me any problems...

I guess these are the choices I have.. Whats the difference? :)

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
with Rio 800 Pump
Your Price $158.99

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
with MJ1200 Pump
Your Price $163.99

Aqua C Remora Pro Protein Skimmer
with Rio 1400 Pump
Your Price $208.99

Aqua C Remora Pro Protein Skimmer
with Mag 3 Pump
Your Price $226.99

I use a AquaC EV1000. I have no direct experience with the remora so I guess this is just a plug for AquaC

You're getting a better pump with the Pro models and the Pro is slightly larger. The pro also has a drain plug in the collection cup for draining into a larger container or bucket and I was never sure if the regular Remora has that or not.

Also there is a prefilter and some type of bubble trap that can be added to the Remora Pro (more $). Not sure if you can add these to the regular Remora. I ordered them with my Mag 3 model but don't have it yet. Postman tried to deliver today while I was at work, so I'll be picking it up in the morning and can let you know how it looks :)

ColdFish said:
The pro also has a drain plug in the collection cup for draining into a larger container or bucket and I was never sure if the regular Remora has that or not.

Also there is a prefilter and some type of bubble trap that can be added to the Remora Pro (more $). Not sure if you can add these to the regular Remora. I ordered them with my Mag 3 model but don't have it yet. Postman tried to deliver today while I was at work, so I'll be picking it up in the morning and can let you know how it looks :)

The regular Remora is recommended for up to a 75 gallon tank. The pro for 75 and up. And you can get the Remora with the drain. I think you can also get the prefilter for the Remora, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, it's a great skimmer. It's dimensions and shape give you a long collumn for collecting DOC's yet it's design is not at all bulky. And it performs very well and is not at all loud IMO...

Back
Top Bottom