Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Protein Skimmer Counter Current - Small

Amazon.com: Protein Skimmer Counter Current - Small: Home & Garden

Does anyone have one of these? I don't have any skimmer for my 38G w/ 10G sump and thought it wouldn't hurt to get a cheap skimmer (better than not getting one at all) I still don't understand exactly how they work as far as how much water they require. I don't want anything in the DT, and would like something for the sump. I leave 4" space at the top of the tank for back-suction off the return during a power outtage. I don't see any issues in the tank right now, just thought it may be better to be pro-active. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This skimmer uses an airstone to produce skimate. IMO they will work but the stone gets clogged up really fast and you need to buy a new air stone. Go with a venturi skimmer or one with a dedicated pump you won't regret it. They are pricier yes but well worth it.
But considering that you don't really need a skimmer I would get this if I were in your shews because it's so cheap and judging by the reviews moderately effective. Better water never hurt too bad.

Skimmers work by greating micro bubbles that travel up a tube and as they do so proteins attach to them and those proteins further attach to low molecular weight substances in the water (nitrate, phosphate ammonia etc). The bubbles float up to the top and are collected in the skim cup. This skimmer sits in the sump.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/pro...venskimmer.htm

Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you ) I was reading that same article when your post popped up. I was also reading about the issues with replacing the air stones constantly. I guess it would be better to get something like:

Amazon.com: AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115: Home & Garden

I'm trying to figure out what height is needed to run properly. I have water at about the 8" mark, but could do more if I need to (would just need to raise the return to break back syphining sooner during outage) I'll read more into this afternoon, need to head out to a Sunday Wedding. Thanks again for the quick response.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161 View Post
Thank you ) I was reading that same article when your post popped up. I was also reading about the issues with replacing the air stones constantly. I guess it would be better to get something like:

Amazon.com: AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115: Home & Garden

I'm trying to figure out what height is needed to run properly. I have water at about the 8" mark, but could do more if I need to (would just need to raise the return to break back syphining sooner during outage) I'll read more into this afternoon, need to head out to a Sunday Wedding. Thanks again for the quick response.
8" of water is good for most skimmers. If the 2-links are the only two choices, I'd go with the second one.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

IMO if you have a need for a skimmer, it isn't something you should skimp on. I would save your pennies for another couple weeks and get something nice.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Or something used.

Tags
current, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com