Protein skimmer for 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawny963

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have started a ten gallon nano over the last two months. Right now the tank has fully cycled and contains a tomato clown and an emerald crab. I also have a little lr and dead coral in the tank with cc as substrate. I hope to add more lr and hopefully a mushroom leather or another hardy coral to the tank for visual appeal and possible surrogate host for the clown. My question is whether i need a protein skimmer or not, I know everyone says it is necessary, but everything i have seen has been rated for 50 gal or higher. Would i just be overskimming this tank if one was added, or is there cheaper smaller alternatives. I have a normal millenium filter running right now and thats all. Please help if you can.

I too have a 12gal nano. You just need to do more frequent water changes. One of the added benefits of a small tank, is it's not a huge chore. My tank has a canopy, so there's not much room for a skimmer, unless I cut out the canopy. I do weekly 20%, whoo hoo 2 1/2 gal.

Back
Top Bottom