Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Protein Skimmer for 55 gal

Can anyone recommend a good protein skimmer for a 55 gal? I'm not farmiliar with SW equipment but have been looking at an Aquarium Systems Seaclone 100.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eeeeeeek.... I bought one, promptly returned it to the store. Most people here would advise against them, although there are a few diehard fans out there. Skimmer for you: will it be hang on back, or in-sump?

If it's hang on back, I would suggest an Aqua-C Remora Pro with Mag 3 pump. Other people like their bak-paks, but might be a bit small for a 55.

If it's an in-sump model, the choices are MUCH wider.

~~Rob

Old 01-31-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

We were thinking of a hob. What is the advantages of an in-sump?

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-31-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been shopping at Big Al's online to check out prices. Are there any on that website that come recommended? If not, we can always order somewhere else. I just try not to purchase from our lfs because they are not very knowledgable and have given us a hard time with their fish guarentee's. They would not guarentee a pleco that we purchased that died 12 hours after we had him. They tested the water and said it was perfect except our pH was at 6.8 instead of 7.0. Ever since that incident, we try to order online. It wasn't the money that bothered me, it was the fact that they won't guarentee their fish even though they have a guarentee policy up in the store. It has happened twice with pleco's from that store, the first time with a $40 pleco, and the second time with a common pleco, so I try to stay clear of them.

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, first off you would need a sump Check some other threads for info on them.

In-sump skimmers can generally handle more water volume, and can be tucked away neatly under the tank out of sight. Issues with micro-bubbles can be solved with bubble traps inside the sump, leaving less clutter in the display tank. (If you decide on doing/buying a sump, you can also put your heaters and other equipment in there as well). HOB skimmers can only do so much.

If you want, you can check out the one I built out of a 20 gal Long tank for around $100 total. (nothing special, but it'll show you the basic idea of a sump).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=42562

~Rob
Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 AM   #6

The aquaC remora would be the way to go!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a newbie to SW and am looking for the easiest skimmer. I'm sure that given some experience, maybe a year from now I will venture off into Corals and more complicated things, but for now I'm looking for something that an idiot can use. Because, lets face it, when it comes to saltwater, I am an idiot. Just an hour ago I learned that lr works as a filter and that the Canister that I purchased does not need to use carbon and will mainly be used to polish the water.

I have been doing research from time to time online for over a year and read Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies and there's so much to learn that I want to take it one step at a time. I've finally got the guts to start a saltwater. I've been too much of a chicken to do it in the past.

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
i personaly love my cpr bak pak. its about the easyest way to go
Old 01-31-2005, 07:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

what is a cpr bak pak? Where can I find information on them?

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also very easy is the AquaC urchin for in-sump use. Tt comes very highly recommended on the wetwebmedia forum.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com