Protein Skimmer for 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone recommend a good protein skimmer for a 55 gal? I'm not farmiliar with SW equipment but have been looking at an Aquarium Systems Seaclone 100.

Eeeeeeek.... I bought one, promptly returned it to the store. Most people here would advise against them, although there are a few diehard fans out there. Skimmer for you: will it be hang on back, or in-sump?

If it's hang on back, I would suggest an Aqua-C Remora Pro with Mag 3 pump. Other people like their bak-paks, but might be a bit small for a 55.

If it's an in-sump model, the choices are MUCH wider.

~~Rob

I have been shopping at Big Al's online to check out prices. Are there any on that website that come recommended? If not, we can always order somewhere else. I just try not to purchase from our lfs because they are not very knowledgable and have given us a hard time with their fish guarentee's. They would not guarentee a pleco that we purchased that died 12 hours after we had him. They tested the water and said it was perfect except our pH was at 6.8 instead of 7.0. Ever since that incident, we try to order online. It wasn't the money that bothered me, it was the fact that they won't guarentee their fish even though they have a guarentee policy up in the store. It has happened twice with pleco's from that store, the first time with a $40 pleco, and the second time with a common pleco, so I try to stay clear of them.

Well, first off you would need a sump ;) Check some other threads for info on them.

In-sump skimmers can generally handle more water volume, and can be tucked away neatly under the tank out of sight. Issues with micro-bubbles can be solved with bubble traps inside the sump, leaving less clutter in the display tank. (If you decide on doing/buying a sump, you can also put your heaters and other equipment in there as well). HOB skimmers can only do so much.

If you want, you can check out the one I built out of a 20 gal Long tank for around $100 total. (nothing special, but it'll show you the basic idea of a sump).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=42562

~Rob

I am a newbie to SW and am looking for the easiest skimmer. I'm sure that given some experience, maybe a year from now I will venture off into Corals and more complicated things, but for now I'm looking for something that an idiot can use. Because, lets face it, when it comes to saltwater, I am an idiot. Just an hour ago I learned that lr works as a filter and that the Canister that I purchased does not need to use carbon and will mainly be used to polish the water.

I have been doing research from time to time online for over a year and read Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies and there's so much to learn that I want to take it one step at a time. I've finally got the guts to start a saltwater. I've been too much of a chicken to do it in the past.

Captivereefs- I am looking at the site and am a bit confused. I have a 55 gal and am seeing a protein skimmer for $164. 8O Am I looking in the wrong place beacuse that seems pretty high priced for such a small tank. At the lfs they run about $60. But maybe I am just looking at the wrong thing because then I see another one for $35.

You have to remember I am new to this and am unsure about what type of skimmer to use that is within my budget and simplistic. A product number or a specific name would be a lot easier. I'm sorry for being difficult. :oops:

You'll get what you pay for. I have a seaclone in my sump and I am saving up for an upgrade. I have lots of bubbles comming out of mine. I would spend the money on a deacent skimmer now (oversize it too) so you don't have to upgrade later.
People here recoment the aquac remora a lot as HOB skimmer, but there are other choices too.

We purchased the Aqua C (and yes, you got the price right, it is not a cheap one) and we are very happy with it. When I was buying I was comparing the Aqua C and the BakPak. Someone told me the Aqua C is quieter and that was important to me, so that is how I made my decision. It works VERY well. We are new too and the Aqua C is very easy to use and maintain.

DJ

Roger that! I got nothing but great result with the AquaC Remora. Glad I didnt buy that crap at the LFS.

Buy the best skimmer you can afford.

AquaC is a dream. There may be others out there, but my powerheads make more noise than my in-sump Urchin. COmes highly recommended across all of the user forums I've been reading. Check out wetwebmedia.com forum for more info.

Not cheap, but worth the $$ as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom