Protein Skimmer for Nano Reef tank worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I have a 20g reef tank and am considering a protein skimmer for it. I was wondering whether or not it would be worth it. I do PWC each week, but still have brown film algae that I have to clean off the sides of the tank daily as well as the power heads, frag rack, and in tank refugium.

I feed every other day and only enough for each fish to get a mouthful. I dont understand the brown film algae issue, but am tried of having to pull things out of the tank to clean this stinky brown film algae. My nitrates and phosphates show as zero, but I imagine there is something in there feeding the algae. Other than this film algae, there is no other algae at all that I can see aside from coralline.

Would a protein skimmer save me some work, or wind up being a waste of money?

Thanks guys!
Matt

Its over a year old. This stuff has always been with the tank. I believe its common to most people, its just that im getting tired of it.:p

My acrylic tank looks terrible from having to scrub it so much with the mag floats. (Acrylic type mag float too!). Every day I have to go all over with the mag float and this creates countless micro scratches that is causing a haze to form. And then there is the occasional grain of sand that manages its way into the scubber that leaves a scar. :-(

So many pretty colors and then this nasty tan brown stuff to look at...And it smells TERRIBLE too! I could do with some more snails as they look to be eating it from time to time, but there is no way they could rid me of it. Just forms on everything but the rocks, sand, and coral (for the most part). It actually grows all over my chaeto! What a slap in the face!

It has to be finding something to eat, and I doubt I could ask my fish to eat even less than I am giving them as is. I just wonder if a skimmer would make the $100+ price tag worth it or if the money would be spent better on something else?
Matt

IMO you dont need a skimmer for that size tank. PWC`s will accomplish the same thing.

Hmmm...I wonder how I ought combat this stuff then? Its a pain having to pull everything out once a week and soak it in vinegar (the stuff is so slimey) and scrub and scrub and scrub. Each week I also have to take a plastic scraper to the tank to get where the mag-float cant go. All that plus the every single day mag-float scrubbing of this stuff.

I wonder if its something else? Something related to cyano maybe? No other algae exists in this tank. No cyano either.:confused:

So you dont think a skimmer would help enough to justify the cost then? Maybe I ought to replace my GFO. (Been 1.5 months now in my Fluval 305). Should I try to load down my Fluval 305 with GFO? The chaeto is growing well, but is being overtaken by this messy, stinky junk. It seems to show up overnight, so it doesnt seem to need light (although it grows best under the 6500k CFL shinning on the chaeto).

Got to :rocket: this stuff!
Matt

Couple things, post some recent levels of your tank, they will probably show low because the algae is consuming it, but its good to check.
Also:
Check the levels of your fresh mixed SW, are you using RO/DI or chemical conditioners?
Do you have any eggcrate in your tank?
Is the tank custom made?
Do you see yourself upgrading tank size at all? If so a skimmer is never a bad investment. you can buy a bit bigger then you need now so you can carry it through a couple tanks.

Hello,
Nitrates and phosphates are usually at zero, but suspect that is due to this junk eating it. (As well as the cheato and GFO).

No eggcrate. Not a custom tank, bought it online and is made from acrylic.

I probably wont upgrade for quite awhile. I plan to one day, maybe when I get my EE degree and get a good job. Then I will go all out! :cool: Until then, it will cost too much as I plan to go to a 55g or so.

I use RO/DI water, but the TDS is showing a 1 now, so maybe its time for all new filters. (A year old now).

I dont dose anything, just food. :grin: (frozen mysis shrimp rinsed in the RO/DI water, and formula 1 pellets).

Matt

I have a 29g biocube and have a Tunze 9001 nano skimmer. I wish I had never bought it. I have never had anything dark get in it. Sure bubbles and foam but not a measurable amount. You dont need it. If you do pwc weekly, you will be fine.

So the other day I went to a lfs and the guy suggests "TLC for saltwater". It is a bacteria supplement. He uses it on all his tanks. So I bought some and have not had to clean my galss since I bought it. I also battled different algaes and now things are receeding. I would give it a try. Only 12bucks. So far, I am sold.

So the other day I went to a lfs and the guy suggests "TLC for saltwater". It is a bacteria supplement. He uses it on all his tanks. So I bought some and have not had to clean my galss since I bought it. I also battled different algaes and now things are receeding. I would give it a try. Only 12bucks. So far, I am sold.

I am very intrigued by this, as I suspect this film stuff may not be a typical algae. I am worried about adding anything though, and hate the idea of being hooked on a product. How much is needed? How long do you reckon a bottle would last?

Anyone else here heard of this? Sounds like a miracle in a bottle...I know how the forum feels about those. ;-)

Matt

I called a friend that owns a lfs and he said he uses it. It is a bacteria supplement. All I can say is you need to see a tank with it in there. The store I went to here had crazy clean tanks. So clean that everyone that came in asked why. The answer was TLC. I dont buy gimmicks but his tanks were so clean. It cost me $12. You use 1 ounce per 25 g after water change or adding a fish. It is bacteria that goes to work on left over food and detritus. Taking algaes food supply.

I would have never tried it but I had strange algae that I could not control. I all but stopped feeding. Cleaned sand etc... Water was perfect and still algae. Now things seem to be pulling back. I was and am still not for sure it is a miracle in a bottle but if something does what it is claiming then I will spread the word.

Look it up on other forums. I did on my local forum and everyone is using it already.

I may have to order some then and try it out! I am very excited about it, as I am sick of this brown, whispy film that grows despite my efforts.

It almost sounds like Seachem stability. Same directions, claims the same results. I might add some of that first as I have a bottle sitting around here. What do you guys think?

Matt

How about trying going lightless for three days. i have read where this is done on a monthly basis by some people and it works for them. the fish don't care. your water sounds fine

Nice Bige. Go for it Matt. For $12 it could be one of the best things you ever buy. :)

On the Seachem, what does it say its for?

Seachem says nearly the same. Says it rapidly establishes a biofilter to process ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The directions are the same as the TLC stuff...

Sounds like the same thing. I added this stuff back when cycling, but think that my live rocks did the actual cylcing rather than seachem stability as the ammonia and nitrites took much much longer to come down than stability claims. :loopy:

I added some to my tank today. We will see if it does anything. My guess is it will just pollute the water since its been opened a year ago. ;)

I might order the TLC next month if the Stability hasnt worked.
Matt

How about trying going lightless for three days. i have read where this is done on a monthly basis by some people and it works for them. the fish don't care. your water sounds fine

This stuff grows at night with the lights off. :D

Plus, I have some acroporas and a crocea clam that might give me a good cussing for that...
Matt

Back
Top Bottom