Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Protein Skimmer Help

I have had my tank about a month and a half now. I am wanting to get a protein skimmer so I can introduce an anemone to my clown. I have one problem though. The lfs doesn't have a skimmer small enough for my tank unless I buy a canister filter to open the back up completely. I went on petco.com to see if they had anything and they do. They have a skimmer for just ten bucks for my size of tank. I just want to know if anyone has ever used one of these: Lee's counter current protein skimmer, or berlin air-lift protein skimmer. Also, when purchasing either one of these...I do need to get an air pump right? New to the subject so any advice would be helpful.

30 gallon tank with dual bio-wheels, live sand and crushed coral, 20 lbs of live rock. Inhabitants are two false percula clowns, one dwarf rusty angelfish, one cardinal, three snails, and nine blue legged hermits.
atwise21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im no expert, but I would think that a skimmer for 10 bucks would be garbage. By reading your signature, it looks like you have a 30 gallon tank. I have a 30 gal also and I am running a Aqua C Remora skimmer. The price tag for that puppy was a little over 200 bucks I think. I had a CPR BAK PAK that ran a little over 100 bucks and it eventually stopped working on me.

I would look at the skimmer as an investment and spend some money to get a good one. I learned that after going the cheaper route on my first one.....now im out over 300 bucks!

Also, your tank is way to young for an anemone....I have heard that you should only introduce one after your tank has been well established....at least a year or so, and you have proper lighting.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I had a CPR BAK PAK that ran a little over 100 bucks and it eventually stopped working on me.
How does a skimmer stop working? It is acrylic walls and plastic pipes. The only thing that could possible wear out is the motor, which is replacable.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A $10 skimmer will not do anything. At all.

A CPR bak-pak would be perfect on that size tank. Maybe even a little overkill, but if you ever upgraded to, say a 55gallon you could still use the same skimmer and save.

As grimlock said, a bak-pak is just an acrylic box with a Rio600 pump...easy to find, and not very expensive. you can get a bak-pak for $118 shipped. PM me for a link if you want.

Someone might recommend a RedSea Prizm skimmer. Avoid it. I just replaced mine with the bak-pak because the Prizm couldn't do a good enough job, and my tank's only 10gallons larger, and only has 2 clowns and 1 six line wrasse, all young and not full grown.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what about...

the problem I am having is that the back of my tank is not large enough to accomodate anything...I was hoping that someone could recommend something that was free standing of small enough to mount on the wall of the tank...anything that doesn't require rim room. Maybe I should just get a 100 gallon and stop messing around with this smaller one.
30 gallon tank with dual bio-wheels, live sand and crushed coral, 20 lbs of live rock. Inhabitants are two false percula clowns, one dwarf rusty angelfish, one cardinal, three snails, and nine blue legged hermits.
atwise21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

just an opinion

Is 1-1/2 month tank a bit young to try to keep an anemone?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

[Maybe I should just get a 100 gallon and stop messing around with this smaller one.]

sounds like a plan
Old 10-10-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just looking across the room and eyeballing it, it seems like my bak-pak would probably fit on my 29.

You could always measure them, if you haven't already.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think he means his tank is too close to the wall to hand a skimmer off the back.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Why not build a sump? lots more work, but lots more room.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, protein skimmer help, skimmer, skimmer help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com