Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
Protein Skimmers - Need advice!

Hey Guys - I'll be moving in 2 months, and I'll be starting up a saltwater tank when I move in. None of this is urget, But its nice to have 2 months to prepare!

I'll be using a 44 Gallon tank, which is basically a 2 foot cube with a corner cut off (diamond shape when you look down at it)

I'm going Sumpless, simply because my DIY stand has no room for a sump.

I have a fluval 304 filter, which I'll re-use and put frags into instead of sponge. (will it clog?)

I was going to go for a HOB protien skimmer, but started looking around, and saw this:

Clean-Up 200 Protein Skimmer by Won Brothers - AquaCave

Could I adapt this and run it beside my Fluval 304 (In Line) and have my 304 drive this? As well - It doesn't look the most efficient design - But Could I put some frags into this as well to increase the size of my bio filter? Anyone have experience with this unit?

What confuses me: If this is below the waterline of the tank and you are using it "inline" mode... what stops the water from pouring out over the top of this? I'm wondering if this is a bit of BS - Or maybe I just don't understand what "in line" means.

Thanks in advance!

5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

In line means sitting beside a sump and feeding it with water pumped from the sump to the PS and flowing back to the sump. This is not a HOB unit.

My first PS was the Aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi which can be a HOB unit. I would recommend that product. It worked fine till I upgraded to a larger custom unit.

I also think you mean to say LR rubble instead of frags. Frags are pieces of corals that have been fragmented (cut) to create new colonies.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
Frags = LR rubble in sudz-speak. Now I know what to really call it. But yeah. So no go on that.

I'm wondering if I should keep my AC70 and load it with rubble as well? I could probably use it as a mini cultivator if I ever start to grow some easy coral (not likely with my light output)

I figure the added space won't hurt?
5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
protein, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com