Proteind skimmers and uv sterilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are these needed for my tank? I here they are optional to add to a tank and i hear that they a must haves any have any info or suggestions. also, i havent set my tank up yet but am purchasing it this friday, a 75 gl with a sump and overflow. i plan on having fish and cleaning crews only until i get a lighting setup, probably pc's, then i was gonna add a mixture of liverock and inverts. So i was wondering if these are needed at all and if so can they be purchased later when my poor college butt can save up some money :D

They are not 100% necessary. Having said that, I would not have a FOWLR or Reef tank without a protein skimmer. As for UV I have never used one on my tank but I do use one on my outdoor pond and it did help with algae.

I agree with the above about using the skimmer and the UV sterilizer. If you are just starting your tank I would leave the skimmer off for awhile anyway. Let the tank start cycling and then add it.

Back
Top Bottom