Protien skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louie4979

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a couple of questions about my skimmer. I have a Reef Octopus module 2 x Protein skimmer. Just starting out my tank. I have a 60 gallon tank with 3 Chromis and a clownfish. 50 pounds of live rock, 60 pounds of live sand and a Rena Filstar xp3 canister filter. The tank is up and running. My skimmer is producing foam, but clear( with some stuff in it) not green or yellow. Does my skimmer need to be broken in or is my bio load too light right now? Also where should I place my collection cups? Too low and the cup fills up very quickly. Too high and no foam rises in the cup. Is there like a rule of thumb or a guideline to go buy. Reef Octopus directions are just diagrams.

You adjust to how you want to skim. Skimming wet means more light tea colored water in the cup, while skimming heavy means it takes longer to fill the cup, but the skimmate is much darker and thicker; almost sludge like.

The foam is going to be white. Once it pops over the top and settles in the bottom of the collection cup is when you will see the true color.

Reef octopus instructions are terrible. I have one too. It just takes some adjusting. I currently have mine in a position where it fills up about every three days.

RYANLAWRENCE said:
Reef octopus instructions are terrible. I have one too. It just takes some adjusting. I currently have mine in a position where it fills up about every three days.

I love my reef octopus too. That thing is amazing. The directions are terrible. It took a week to get mine broken in and adjusted to where I want it.

Yes they are great skimmers. But you think they could afford to include some actual instructions instead of low quality diagrams considering you are spending anywhere from $100 to $300 on one of their skimmers. That's the only bad thing about them though!

Thanks. Which setting do you think is better? Setting the cups high or low?

I don't like having to empty the cup daily so I think a dryer skim is better. Like I said, every three days or so is when I empty the collection cup

i ordered an insump reef octupus to replace my seaclone cant wait to get it

I use an aqua medic. That thing is a workhorse. Works unbelievably well. I use to have a sea clone to. Now it's a paper weight, that thing was useless.

That skimmer must be a piece of crap. Everybody I've talked to says the sea clone sucks.

One more stupid question about the collection cups. If the foam is not bubbling over the rising tube will it produce dry skim? Should the foam be in the middle? I think I would like my skimmer to produce dry skim. Please advise!

We have a reef octopus 8 needle wheel rated for 250 gallons. The foam should be toward the top of the center riser. As ours collects in a dry skim it pushes the bubbles over the top into the cup and as they burst they create the liquid you see in a cup. Ours needs emptied about every 5 days.

Thanks. I have a two in one skimmer. But hearing you say you have to empty it out every 5 days helps. I'm starting to get a lot of moist black stuff on the top of my riser tubes so I guess it doing it's job.

Back
Top Bottom