protien skimmer fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With a few fish water changes may take care of it but the sooner you have one the better.

Optional but recommended.. More so the larger the tank. 40G's or less becomes less necessary.

As with everyone and everything.. IMO

Hmmmm, I don't use a skimmer. I think it is a personal preference (once I get corals in my 125, I may change my mind).

I've been playing around (in my mind) thinking about trying that 'mega nitrate' contraption. Looks like the start up cost is nill on the off chance it workds as advertised. If I do, and it does.. I'll have a Octo to get rid of .. if the timing works out

That would be interesting to see how/if it works....

If you have FOWLR tank i think that A Decent skimmer and Live rock together do an amazing job!! You know alot of ppl dont give LiveRock the gratitude that it deserves. Not on here im talkin about at work. Because live rock is a great Biological filteration system

kk, thankyou just really itching to get my tank set up as soon as possible. i think i have a case of "SWF" (Salt Water Fever)................ cause i cant stop thinking about 75 gallons of ocean in my living room. :)

The mega nitrate article is just a downsized algae turf scrubber and not to say they do not work when they are up to par, but they do not replace that of a skimmer and, of course, depending on what you are housing. Most fowlr tanks, ime, are geared towards predatory or just large animals so whether or not you will be housing such is the question.

The person pushing the thread seems to have some decent anecdotal data to support the claim and I haven't seen any tracked data disputing it either. Not long ago if these boards existed the same would have been being said about skimmers.

Some FOWLR tanks, mine specifically, are not intended for that at all. I just don't have a great interest in coral nor the added care and expense that come with them. Frankly my tank looked and performed as well before I added a skimmer. Given the opportunity to remove one piece of equipment that would be the first to go

Back
Top Bottom