Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I'm feeling real positive about the RD skimmer. I haven't seen a bad review on them yet.
Definitely actually. Look at air draw and gph, not hearsay. Of course the car salesman is going to tell you his car is the one for you. What makes a skimmer good is the pump. How efficient it is.
I'm not downing your skimmer, I'm just giving you another option.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Definitely actually. Look at air draw and gph, not hearsay. Of course the car salesman is going to tell you his car is the one for you. What makes a skimmer good is the pump. How efficient it is.
Air draw is fractionally better at best, but it costs you the bigger footprint that I don't have. My skimmer chamber is 13.5x11 so the ins180e is even pushing my limits.

I've done countless hours of research on these forums and on the web and never came across that skimmer. I appreciate your info, but I already bought the RD
__________________

__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
edwardclaxton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 524
Reef dynamics awesome stuff. The ins series is pretty great. Make sure you do the warrenty paper and send it back. The one I ordered was back dated for 3 weeks but im glad I waited. They pull alot of junk out. It is easy to clean as well. My favorite feature is that the cup doesnt need room to pull up and off. You unscrew it and it can be pulled off to the side without lifting. The reason thats great for me is that I have maybe 1/2 in from the top of my skimmer to the my stand. Also I see you got the ehiem pump with it. I didnt have the extra money or I would have. I really wanted it but it works great with the stock pump.
__________________
edwardclaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton View Post
Reef dynamics awesome stuff. The ins series is pretty great. Make sure you do the warrenty paper and send it back. The one I ordered was back dated for 3 weeks but im glad I waited. They pull alot of junk out. It is easy to clean as well. My favorite feature is that the cup doesnt need room to pull up and off. You unscrew it and it can be pulled off to the side without lifting. The reason thats great for me is that I have maybe 1/2 in from the top of my skimmer to the my stand. Also I see you got the ehiem pump with it. I didnt have the extra money or I would have. I really wanted it but it works great with the stock pump.
I definitely will fill it out before I install it. On the website the skimmer is dated 2-3 weeks, I hope it comes sooner though!!

I figured if I'm spending this amount of money, I might as well go for the eheim pump for a little bit more. I'm looking to get an eheim 1260 or 1262 for my return also because I here they are super quiet. I have a eheim 2217 canister on my freshwater tank and you don't even know it's on.
__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
edwardclaxton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 524
I have the ehiem 1262 and it is pretty awesome. No noise and doesnt have much heat compared to a mag 18 I use to have. If you dont have power head check out jebao wp40 I have one and when its turned all the way up water almost goes over my trim in my 125. U can find them on ebay from 85 to 135 buck mine was 105 with free ship. A lot of people are switching from ecotech mp40 to the wp40 bc they are about a third of the cost. If u do get these refine the location to around 500 miles from you. If iy ships from hong kong you will be waiting for a while. There are a lot of youtube videos they also have 6 different modes I think which all can be adjusted. For that price can beat it. Also they have a wp25 its the same price. It is smaller depending on your needs. Id rather have the wp40 since my return pump isnt used for much water movement in the display.
__________________
edwardclaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
Yeah I'm trying to figure out what gph I need. I don't want a lot of flow out of my sump, I'm using two tunez 6105s for flow. I want just enough flow for the skimmer and refugium. The 1260 seems a little under powered, and the 1262 seems a little over powered, so idk what I'm going to do yet.
__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
edwardclaxton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 524
Use the 1262 and put a ball valve and check valve then you can adjust the flow. The check valve will not let water siphon back down ur return line possibly flooding your refugium.
__________________
edwardclaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton View Post
Use the 1262 and put a ball valve and check valve then you can adjust the flow. The check valve will not let water siphon back down ur return line possibly flooding your refugium.
I think my return has a hole in the 90 right before the split so the siphon breaks quick, I need to check.
__________________

__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skimmer, skimmer help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.