Protien skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a 125 with a 40g sump. I am looking to buy a protein skimmer now and I'm stuck between two reef octopus models. I'm looking at the diablo xs 160 or the 225. I'm not sure which one to buy so I'm looking for some help. I've read about people over skimming, but I don't want to under skim either. I plan on having a pretty heavy bio load down the road with a ton of coral and some fish. Which one would you guys suggest?

I have a 125 my skimmer is a reef dynamics ins135. I love this thing it pulls a lot of junk out. And reef dynamics has like 8 videos on you tube talking about it. They are each about 12 mins long.

Buy the SWC 180 cone skimmer. If you stock lightly you can get away with the 160. Awesome skimmers. And very very quiet. Wont ever buy another brand skimmer.

I just pulled the trigger on the Reef Dynamics INS180E. After talking with Jeff on the phone it seemed like a no brainer.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm feeling real positive about the RD skimmer. I haven't seen a bad review on them yet.

I have a Diablo xs 160 and for the price I'm extremely happy with it ..pulls a lot of skimate from my tank been set up for a year now and no problems at all..

Forgot to mention it also can be upgraded with a extended neck and a self cleaning collection cup...

Maybe, maybe not. I'm feeling real positive about the RD skimmer. I haven't seen a bad review on them yet.
Definitely actually. Look at air draw and gph, not hearsay. Of course the car salesman is going to tell you his car is the one for you. What makes a skimmer good is the pump. How efficient it is.
I'm not downing your skimmer, I'm just giving you another option.

Last edited:
Definitely actually. Look at air draw and gph, not hearsay. Of course the car salesman is going to tell you his car is the one for you. What makes a skimmer good is the pump. How efficient it is.

Air draw is fractionally better at best, but it costs you the bigger footprint that I don't have. My skimmer chamber is 13.5x11 so the ins180e is even pushing my limits.

I've done countless hours of research on these forums and on the web and never came across that skimmer. I appreciate your info, but I already bought the RD

Reef dynamics awesome stuff. The ins series is pretty great. Make sure you do the warrenty paper and send it back. The one I ordered was back dated for 3 weeks but im glad I waited. They pull alot of junk out. It is easy to clean as well. My favorite feature is that the cup doesnt need room to pull up and off. You unscrew it and it can be pulled off to the side without lifting. The reason thats great for me is that I have maybe 1/2 in from the top of my skimmer to the my stand. Also I see you got the ehiem pump with it. I didnt have the extra money or I would have. I really wanted it but it works great with the stock pump.

Reef dynamics awesome stuff. The ins series is pretty great. Make sure you do the warrenty paper and send it back. The one I ordered was back dated for 3 weeks but im glad I waited. They pull alot of junk out. It is easy to clean as well. My favorite feature is that the cup doesnt need room to pull up and off. You unscrew it and it can be pulled off to the side without lifting. The reason thats great for me is that I have maybe 1/2 in from the top of my skimmer to the my stand. Also I see you got the ehiem pump with it. I didnt have the extra money or I would have. I really wanted it but it works great with the stock pump.

I definitely will fill it out before I install it. On the website the skimmer is dated 2-3 weeks, I hope it comes sooner though!!

I figured if I'm spending this amount of money, I might as well go for the eheim pump for a little bit more. I'm looking to get an eheim 1260 or 1262 for my return also because I here they are super quiet. I have a eheim 2217 canister on my freshwater tank and you don't even know it's on.

I have the ehiem 1262 and it is pretty awesome. No noise and doesnt have much heat compared to a mag 18 I use to have. If you dont have power head check out jebao wp40 I have one and when its turned all the way up water almost goes over my trim in my 125. U can find them on ebay from 85 to 135 buck mine was 105 with free ship. A lot of people are switching from ecotech mp40 to the wp40 bc they are about a third of the cost. If u do get these refine the location to around 500 miles from you. If iy ships from hong kong you will be waiting for a while. There are a lot of youtube videos they also have 6 different modes I think which all can be adjusted. For that price can beat it. Also they have a wp25 its the same price. It is smaller depending on your needs. Id rather have the wp40 since my return pump isnt used for much water movement in the display.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what gph I need. I don't want a lot of flow out of my sump, I'm using two tunez 6105s for flow. I want just enough flow for the skimmer and refugium. The 1260 seems a little under powered, and the 1262 seems a little over powered, so idk what I'm going to do yet.

Use the 1262 and put a ball valve and check valve then you can adjust the flow. The check valve will not let water siphon back down ur return line possibly flooding your refugium.

Use the 1262 and put a ball valve and check valve then you can adjust the flow. The check valve will not let water siphon back down ur return line possibly flooding your refugium.

I think my return has a hole in the 90 right before the split so the siphon breaks quick, I need to check.

Back
Top Bottom