Protien Skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDAWG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, about four days ago I decided to dust off my protien skimmer and put it back in my aquarium. I had a brand new airstone specifically for the skimmer (it's a Berlin skimmer btw). It was running great and had a great steady foam. Yesterday I topped off my tank w/ about a gallon of water. Now the skimmer won't skim.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Well, it seems like the airstone isn't producing enough air to push the foam to the top. But I don't want to say it's the airstone because it's only four days old, and I don't want to say it's the airpump because it worked right before I poured the water in.

Do skimmers not produce foam if there's nothing to skim?

Could this be a salinity thing?

I'm confused...

The addition of some chemicals and FW will cause your skimmer to decrease in productivity for a few days. Give it some time and see it starts again. Mine does not skim on a consistant basis.

quarryshark said:
Maybe the water level needs adjusting. Is there an adjustment on it?

I've tried everything except replacing the airstone or the air pump.

Here's a pic of it...I was trying to move it up and down to change the water level, nothing worked.

*Keeping fingers crossed hoping lando is right*

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 126
I'm thinking it's the stone or the pump now. I just got home from work and it's barely working. Thanks for all the help guys!

Well, it does sound like a hardware problem after your last post, but for the record, doing water changes can cause skimmers to not skim, or adding any additives (slime coat enhancers in particular) can make it go ballistic and skim too much.

Back
Top Bottom