Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Protien Skimmers and Phostphate

Hey Everyone!

Okay so I have a seaclone 100 on my 105G, but from reading in the forums I understand that they are not the best skimmers, especially for 120 gallons of total system water. So I have ordered an AquaC EV-120 for my tank. I currently have an unending DOM slick at the top of the tank and phosphates (according to redsea test kit) around .2 - .3 I would like to see the phosphates drop a little bit. I assume that a better skimmer will remove more DOM therefore removing more nutrients with it, and lower the po4. Is this correct?

Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
The skimmer may help with the DOC and organic phosphates but not really the inorganic. You may need a PO4 sponge to really get things to zero. The same can be accomplished with regular water changes if you are using a pure water source such as RO.

Also be wary of over using dried and flake foods. They are lousy with PO4's but can be diminished by presoaking in RO water and discarding the water before feeding. A variety of different food sources will also help. If using meaty foods, avoid the grocers. Many type of fresh or "fresh frozen" seafoods contain tri-poly phosphates which introduce basically the same thing. When possible buy live but I find some "pre-mades" better than others.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com