Protien Skimmers and Phostphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Everyone!

Okay so I have a seaclone 100 on my 105G, but from reading in the forums I understand that they are not the best skimmers, especially for 120 gallons of total system water. So I have ordered an AquaC EV-120 for my tank. I currently have an unending DOM slick at the top of the tank and phosphates (according to redsea test kit) around .2 - .3 I would like to see the phosphates drop a little bit. I assume that a better skimmer will remove more DOM therefore removing more nutrients with it, and lower the po4. Is this correct?

The skimmer may help with the DOC and organic phosphates but not really the inorganic. You may need a PO4 sponge to really get things to zero. The same can be accomplished with regular water changes if you are using a pure water source such as RO.

Also be wary of over using dried and flake foods. They are lousy with PO4's but can be diminished by presoaking in RO water and discarding the water before feeding. A variety of different food sources will also help. If using meaty foods, avoid the grocers. Many type of fresh or "fresh frozen" seafoods contain tri-poly phosphates which introduce basically the same thing. When possible buy live but I find some "pre-mades" better than others.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom