Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

False alarm.....Damsel seems ok. I get up at 4:30 for work.....

Do you all worry about your fish or am I a freak

Anyawys. In both books that I have bought, it says that the purple dottyback(not bi-color) and the blue yellowtail damsel are both the least aggressive of each species and that both are ok for a community tank. Is this a load of BS.

Oh, my tank is 37G with 25# of live rock.

Its been 5 days and they seems to be ok. They have been interacting and feeding time is not like watching sharks attack. I hope all will be well when I add a clown. The dotty was with a tomato clown at the LFS when I got him. The dotty is a riot to watch as he likes to sneak up on the damsel and then swims away when the damsel turns....

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #12

How about feeding them to a lion or puffer?

KG
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #13

Cruel? You want to talk about cruel? How many fish, corals, livestock etc do you think survive so that you and the rest of those self-righteous people can keep just one specimen? 1/10 - maybe less? Get off your soap box. Damsels are pugnacious little creatures that should never be captured yet alone kept in captivity. Again, just my O2.

KG
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Get off your soap box. Damsels are pugnacious little creatures that should never be captured yet alone kept in captivity.
Your opinion and you are entitled to it. The majority (fortunately) feel differently here and there are not many that would advocate flushing any creature that was willingly brought home to care for. Especially if there are other options.
No soap box, just suggesting humane ways to remedy the situation.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
How many fish, corals, livestock etc do you think survive so that you and the rest of those self-righteous people can keep just one specimen? 1/10 - maybe less? Get off your soap box.
KG
Keep your rudeness to yourself. It will not be tolerated on this board.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never had a damsel and probably never will. My LFS overloads their tank with them and they have no aggression. I asked about it and they said with so many in the tank they do not establish a territory and thus all get alone. I know this is not practical but thought I would share it.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
IMO, there is nothing wrong with most Damsels. Its just that folks add them in the wrong sequence. They are aggressive fish and should be added last. The problem is that many use them to cycle, their territorial instincts kick in and they terrorize any new additions.
I have a starki damsel which was my last addition (see gallery). He is the perfect gentleman.

Tags
damsel, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com