Psycho Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys

i purchased a yellow tang about a week ago
he does well, he eats like a champ anything i give him and he's super bright yellow no sign of Ich

but im semi-annoyed cause all he does all day long is stay in 1 corner of the aquarium and seems to be fighting his own reflection, is this normal behavior of a yellow tang or should i be worried ? like is he ever goin to give up eventually on trying to fight his reflection and go swim elsewhere ?

i linked a video of what he does

Yellow Tang reflection - YouTube

thanks for answers

I can't say if is normal or not but mine does it too. It's fairly new in my tank so hopefully it will change.

I'm not sure if its normal. I've had purple and black Tangs and they never did that. I'd be worried that it's stressing itself out over being territorial all the time.

He litteraly does that from the moment my lights turn on till bed time exept for the 2-3 minutes i feed him lol it gets annoying i wish he would just swim normally like all the other fish

Nah only 2 clowns 1 cardinal 1 damsel 1 goby 1 blenny in a 75 gallons.

Maybe i should try catching him and exchange him for another one ?

I know when people keep discus they will use white poster board to stop surface reflection so the fish don't get stressed, maybe try something similar on that wall and see if it helps

Also...and I hate to do the Tang police thing, but...Yellow Tangs are not meant to be in a 75g. Kole, Tomini and a few others are probably fine.

There are various arguments on this topic. There are people that swear that their Blue Tang is fine in their 75g, but I've always felt those were exceptions to the rule and I would not bet on things not going bad eventually. Almost every thread on here that has a Tang issue ends up with the Tang not being in a six foot long aquarium. That's not coincidence in my book.

That tang is normal in his actions. You can tell its territorial by the way he is swinging his tail to hit it with his "spike". Maybe try the poster board to get him away from it but he looks healthy, moves fast and has a good color. I would worry to much unless he changes which may be a sign of stress from trying to fight his "enemy".

Yeah but at the same time i dont really want a poster on the side of my tank lol
When u say a poster do you mean temporarly till he stops or would i be stuck leaving it there forever ?

Yeah but at the same time i dont really want a poster on the side of my tank lol
When u say a poster do you mean temporarly till he stops or would i be stuck leaving it there forever ?

Just plain white poster board. I dunno... You could put it up for a bit and see if it calms him... Then take it down after a bit and see if he is distracted enough by the rest d the tank to not obsess over that one wall and his reflection.

That tang is normal in his actions. You can tell its territorial by the way he is swinging his tail to hit it with his "spike". Maybe try the poster board to get him away from it but he looks healthy, moves fast and has a good color. I would worry to much unless he changes which may be a sign of stress from trying to fight his "enemy".

Glad to hear that!! That's great news! And I learned something today. :)

i covered the side of the tank with white paper just to see how it goes
it worked well for few minutes and then
he decided to go do the exact same thing on the left side of the tank instead haha

what a dumb tang iv got

yup i think ill just go exchange it for another one will be less trouble.

are they hard to catch ? any tips to catch them ?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom