Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know of a puffer that is 100% reef safe also, does anyone have a puffer that has never eaten their corals?

Unfortunately none are, but lots of people have had luck with a Valentino puffer. Some will be fine in reef tanks some won't depends if you want to take the risk! I was trying to find one for my reef tank and this is the only one that ive found to be plausible. I've decided I want to try one out, and hope for the best

I have had a Blue Spot Toby Puffer for 6 months and haven't had a problem with him messing with my inverts but I am keeping my eye on him.

Attachments

• image-819618520.jpg
    image-819618520.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 240
At this stage he hasnt even paid them any attention. But I'm sure if he went hungry he would soon start picking at them. I think he is safe with supervision.

I know Liveaquaria lists them as with caution... I guess it means some will some won't but you have to just be proactive

I know Liveaquaria lists them as with caution... I guess it means some will some won't but you have to just be proactive

Honestly as long as you feed the fish 3 times a day, they won't eat any corals. Simple as that, they pick at them because their hungry! :) My blue spot puffer does amazing in my reef!

I have to disagree with the feeding three times a day and everything is ok. That theory doesn't work in my tank! Puffers do ok in reef when they are juvenile but as they become adult get a change in palate. Having said that I keep many types of corals with my bennet's puffer but there are certainly corals I can't buy because he eats them.

Puffers should not be overfed. 1 meal daily until belly is slightly rounded is good, anything more will lead kidney problems for the puffer at one point. As they reach a larger size, their portion gets larger and they are suppose to eat less frequently, around 4-5 times weekly at adult size.

Back
Top Bottom