puffer, eel, and what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've never done a salt water tank before, just fresh water, but my charming significant other really wants one. He's been doing plenty of research so I'm leaving most of the details of setting it up to him, but since it's going to take up space in our house, we're trying to compromise on the inhabitants.

We've decided on a 55 gal set up with a valentini puffer and a snowflake eel. We know they aren't reef safe. What else would work with these two?

With an eel that can get 24 inches long and a puffer that only reaches 4 inches, I'd be worried it's eventually gonna become a snack for your eel. That being said, you could add maybe one of the dwarf angels to your tank. Just keep size in mind. If it will fit in the eels mouth, pass on it.

Just as a fyi, eventually the eel is gonna push your bioload on the 55 gal tank with other fish. A snowflake eel at 2ft needs at least a 50gal tank itself.

Thank you Fluff for the reply. I know the eel can get big (have a similiar issue with a knife in my main fresh water tank that will eventually reach 2 feet) and we are willing to move it or set up other arrangements when the time comes. We had done a bit of research on valentini puffers and snowflake eels and everything we read said that they were compatible. If they actually aren't, then the puffer is really the one out of the two we would rather get. So I guess, if not the eel, then what else works with a valentini puffer in a 55 gal?

I would stay away from the eel. They look great, but it'll be very hard with the bioload like fluff said.

You could get a valentini puffer, but they DO nip fins. I had one who tore my lion apart, after everyone said they would be fine. You might want to look at dwarf angels or clowns. Both a great addition, and for the most part hardy. I would think about Coral Beauty or Percula. Blennies or gobies are great fish as well.

I have a SF eel and Toby puffer/Valentin in my 55 and they are fine. SF are not known fish eaters unless they are under fed. I have had the eel with 2 clowns, a psudochromis, yellow tang, DF puffer, wrasse and blenny with no conflicts in over a year. I also run a fuge to keep nitrates in check and a good skimmer. I would not keep the Toby with large fined fish.
The eel is about 12" now.
Also IMO LR is a must if keeping large waste producers. I have 60 lbs in the 55 this leaves plenty of swimming space

Really? I've always thought snowflakes had a smaller mouth to go after fish like clowns, but they are eels. But since yours works out fine then great.

There teeth are designed as crushers not sharp needle teeth that other eels have for grabbing fish.
there is no gaurentee with any fish in your tank. They can eat fish just not known as fish eaters. So if kept well fed it should not be a issue. If you want shrimp there there out.
this is the reasone I got a SF so I could have the eel and other fish.

seaham358 said:
There teeth are designed as crushers not sharp needle teeth that other eels have for grabbing fish.
there is no gaurentee with any fish in your tank. They can eat fish just not known as fish eaters. So if kept well fed it should not be a issue. If you want shrimp there there out.
this is the reasone I got a SF so I could have the eel and other fish.

Of course. I know a guy who says his SF goes after his hawkfish all of the time. Of all of the ones I've had at my job, I've only ever seen a SF go after one fish for getting too close.

Back
Top Bottom