puffer etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I lost my valentini puffer due to him investigating a powerhead intake too closely after he had apparently gotten the grate off some how. :(

Today, I bought what is commonly referred to as a porcupine puffer. When I was looking it up in a few books, I read that it is not a puffer at all, but a porcupine fish that can inflate. Ya learn something new every day:)

The little fella is just not wanting to eat...any ideas? I have tried mysis, lancefish,my frozen mush....nothing seems to be his cup of tea. The first night,
he would take the lancefish, chew it up like ground beef and then spit it out.

yeah, he is spitting it out..maybe he picks it back up again after lights out...but I have yet to see him swallow anything

As far as spitting and being messy is concerned, my porc is pretty obvious about the two. He regularly spits out food he doesn't like, even though they are "puffer food". I would try something else and see if it does the same. Soaking it in garlic is thought to induce feeding a bit.

i soak my shrimps in garlic.. smells funny.. the puffer eats it but occasionally he chews and spit.. then he does pick it back up... mines like it better when i feed him by hand.. just dangle the shrimp exposing it into the water just a little to see if that induce him a little..

I tried the shrimp tonight, he looked at it and then me, like I was trying to poison him. :(

Was he eating in the store? Generally, they eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Try ghost shrimp and see if he has a penchant for live food. After he starts eating, go back to prepared food. I also feed mine salad shrimp from the grocery store, mysis, beef heart, and he even eats flake! Good luck.

Well, it is now a mute point. The puffer is gone from the tank. My husband, who is tired of the "I can't find my fish" theatrics, even came in and helped me move all the live rock. No sign of puffer anywhere. The carpet anemone looks VERY full at the base this morning. This was a 4 inch long puffer. Normally, the host clarkii would run the puffer away from his area. My guess, and that is all that it is, is that the puffer died from starvation and the clown fish fed the anemone.

Either way...no more puffer.. :evil:

carpet anemones do that???... oh snaps... i have a carpet in there.. and a 4-5" long puffer.. but the anemone isn't hosting anything.. none of my clowns are interested.. well.. lets hope all goes well with me...

guy at a LFS that we visited today, said that it would not be that surprising that the anemone would do that IF the puffer had fallen asleep and sort of drifted into it. Other than that, he agreed with me that the puffer would/should have puffed up and done some damage to the anemone (which there was none), but if the anemone caught the puffer by surprise, there would be no way he could have defended himself before the toxins took effect.

I dunno, all I know is that I am down yet another fish and I just got home and the size of the anemone is now much bigger than when I left this morning and I am wondering if I am harboring a monster!

what color is your anemone... i've seen mines profiled as a giant carpet.. and other things... it's like pink, white, green, and purple sometimes... i just found out that he likes the same shrimp as my puffer does so that's what i'm feeding him right now... i don't think, at least i hope, that mines won't accidentally drift off because it finds a spot where he can get stuck and just sits there until he wants to move to another spot or to come out and eat... he's lazy i think.. well yeah.. anyways can anyone tell me what type of carpet anemone is it??... thanks... oh yeah.. that wasn't supposed to be a new post was it because it's dealing with the same topic right?? hehe.. just don't want to get in trouble for posting a new post..

I honestly do not know what type of carpet I have. I saw some beautiful neon green carpets today and mine altho tons bigger, just has no where near the color.
Mine is a rather washed out pink and green.

Back
Top Bottom