Puffer in a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I been looking at puffers in a reef tank and just wanted to know your personal opinions on it all I was at a friends and he had a dogface puffer in his reef and said it leaves the corals alone has anyone else done it?

I have a bennet's sharpnose puffer in my growing reef, it's hit and miss with mine who is fully grown. I have heard they are fine when young and years later can develop a taste so your never sure! I buy tiny frags first to see whether he eats them so it doesn't cost me too much. So far he loves polyps and most recently Duncan's but leaves my other softies alone. Hope that helps...

I looked into adding a Toby puffer recently, but after a google search found nothing but stories of them destroying corals.. Guess ill be passing on him :(

Most Puffers are not reef safe. They would eat your crabs shrimp or any other inverts more then likely. There are some that have a (caution) labeled to them but why take the chance.

Back
Top Bottom